Chapter Thirty-Two

Trigger/Content Warning! This chapter will contain pretty graphic depictions of gore. Please do not read if you are uncomfortable with this.

***

The day had come. The day Ragnar would finally be avenged. The fleet was gathered ready to leave for battle. The Ragnarssons, Harald, Halfdan, Floki and Rona had gathered together one final time before leaving for battle.

"Everybody is clear on the plan, yes?" Bjorn asked. Everybody nodded.

Bjorn looks to Floki first.

"Floki, your group will be first over the mound. You will heed the first battle cry, hopefully this will shock the English into a false sense of security seeing how small your group is."

Floki chuckled as he finished applying his war paint before handing it to Rona.

"Little do their tiny English minds know." Floki joked.

Rona began applying battle paint to her own face, taking two fingers in the paint and putting the paint around her eyes.

Bjorn approached Harald and Halfdan next.

"Harald, Halfdan, you both come with myself, my brothers and our group and we shall be heading over the mounds after Floki. We will begin the battle and deliver the first real blow."

For once, Harald kept his mouth shut and the two brothers simply nodded at Bjorn in agreement.

Bjorn approached Rona last. He put both his hands on her shoulders.

"You are still feeling alright?" Bjorn asked. Rona nodded.

"I am fine."

"Alright. You do not come onto the field until the horn blows. You will approach the English from behind. You will be delivering the final blow and finishing the battle. After that, you come and join us and the nine of us will take Aelle and take him into the woods ourselves." Rona nodded.

"Just like we discussed?"

"Yes, as we discussed. I shall make sure we all have our moment to make Aelle pay, do not worry."

"Alright." Rona agreed.

Yes, The Ragnarssons were Ragnar's biological children but Rona herself was practically his child too. She wanted her turn to make her killer pay for what he had done. She had been waiting for this. She would not have to wait too much longer.

"Now, go. Be careful taking your position. Make sure nobody sees any of you." Bjorn patted Rona on the shoulder.

"We will be fine. I will see you soon." Rona smiled.

Bjorn brought Rona into a hug. Rona held onto Bjorn for a few moments before letting go.

Rona left the group and went outside to check on her horse. She stepped up and climbed onto the horse's back then made sure her sword and axe were secure in their sheaths.

Before Rona could leave, Hvitserk came running and Ivar was following close behind. Ivar went over to his chariot and began preparing himself while listening into the conversation between his brother and the young shieldmaiden.

"Rona! Wait!" Hvitserk pleaded. Rona rolled her eyes and looked towards Hvitserk.

"What is it?" Rona asked, irritated.

"Good luck and be careful." Hvitserk said, genuine concern in his eyes.

Rona managed to keep her expression neutral before replying.