Chapter Four

After a little while, Rona was ready. She had changed into a dark purple dress and her purple cloak, not forgetting to put on her crucifix necklace underneath her dress. Rona always felt that she was somehow doing the Gods a disservice by wearing a Christian symbol. But it helped her feel closer to her father so she continued to wear it all the same. Rona had braided some of her hair at the top of her head. She wanted to look at least presentable at this dinner. Despite the fact that Rona didn't like Aslaug very much, she had to keep up appearances. 

Rona exited her house and Hvitserk was there waiting. He turns to Rona and smiled at her warmly. Rona's face remained emotionless and the two began walking towards the great hall. 

*

When Hvitserk and Rona arrived at the great hall, everyone else was already there: Ubbe, Sigurd, Ivar and Aslaug. Bjorn had gone home to be with his partner, Torvi and their children. 

Each of Hvitserk's brothers gave Rona a respectful nod. Aslaug stood up and approached Rona, Hvitserk went to sit with Ubbe. 

"Rona. It's so good to see you." Aslaug said, pulling Rona into a hug. This made Rona very uncomfortable but she didn't let it show. 

"It's good to see you too Queen Aslaug." Rona replied with the most convincing fake smile she could muster. 

"Come, sit." Aslaug offered, gesturing to a chair at the opposite end of the table to Ivar. Rona sat down and removed her cloak. 

After a few moments, Sigurd leaned towards Rona to speak to her. 

"Rona?" Sigurd said, caution in his voice.

"Yes, Sigurd?" Rona replied.

"I'm sorry about what I said earlier, about your father." Sigurd explained. Rona nodded. She was still rather offended by Sigurd's comments, but to be honest, it was not our of the ordinary for Rona and Sigurd to have disagreements and then make up relatively quickly afterwards. 

"Thank you for your apology." Rona explained. Sigurd gave Rona a small friendly smile, Rona returned it. 

After dinner had been served by a couple of the Lothbrock's slaves, conversation soon turned to Ragnar. It seemed that the Ragnarssons had filled in Ivar on what had happened in the woods earlier that day.

"So, father wants to go to England. Why don't any of you want to go with him?" Ivar asked. Ivar stared around, none of his brothers or Rona saying anything. "Ubbe?" 

"You know why Ivar, now shut up." Ubbe snapped as he continued to eat his food. 

"Rona? You're very loyal to my father," Ivar stated. "Why aren't you going with him?" Rona sighed.

"You know why Ivar. I've already agreed to go with Bjorn and I refuse to choose between Bjorn and your father. I am not picking sides." Rona explained. Ivar scoffed. 

"Is it the same for you Sigurd?" Ivar asked. Sigurd remained silent. "Or are you afraid of being seasick?" Ivar taunted his brother. 

"Here we go. Another fight." Rona thought to herself. 

Sigurd eventually replied to his brother.

"I'm not afraid of anything, brother." Sigurd said confidently, twiddling his fork in his hands.