Chapter Thirty

The fleet had left Kattegat and were now well on their way to England. Rona had decided to go and sit with Ivar, Floki and his family so she could leave Bjorn to his battle plans. 

The young shieldmaiden had felt completely fine the whole journey, but yet again, she began to feel dizzy and her head began to hurt. Rona looked like she is going to pass out. Ivar noticed this and immediately went to her aid, practically catching her in his arms and laying her down on his lap as she loses consciousness.

"Rona? Rona!? Are you ok!?" Ivar asks, frantically shaking his friend's shoulders. "Come on, wake up!"

Helga goes to Rona's side, to Ivar's surprise, she is very calm. 

"It is alright. I will get some smelling salts to try and wake her. But she just needs to ride this out." Helga explained. Ivar looked at Helga as if she was crazy.

"How are you so calm about this!? I thought she had stopped having these fainting spells ages ago?" Ivar asked. 

"I have tried my best, Ivar. But it is something she may just have to live with," Helga said. She turns to Floki. "Can you get my supplies from our bag?" Helga asked. Floki nodded and started looking for what his wife had asked for. 

Hearing the commotion, Bjorn approached, followed by Hvitserk, while Ubbe and Sigurd watched from afar. The rest of the boat's crew were too afraid to look. They knew that Bjorn would not want to make a scene. 

Hvitserk kneeled by Rona's side. He took off one of his furs and put it beneath her head so she could be more comfortable. He strokes Rona's hair and steps back. 

"She will be okay, yes?" Hvitserk asked Helga. Helga nodded. 

"She will be fine I can assure you." Helga answered, now putting together some herbs to try and wake the young shieldmaiden. 

"I leave her in your capable hands for now, Helga. Thank you for acting so quickly." Bjorn said. Helga smiled.

"No problem." 

***

Back with Rona. She was back in Alfred's bedroom. She could see the young boy sat at his desk, reading a book. Alfred noticed Rona's presence rather quickly. When he saw her stood in his room, he smiled. 

"You again?" Alfred asked. Rona smiled again.

"Yes. Hello." Rona replied.

Alfred shut his book and got up from his seat. He walked towards Rona.

"Why did you suddenly disappear last time you were here?" Alfred asked. Rona sighed. 

"I'm afraid I have no control over how long I can stay. It just happens." Rona explained. 

Alfred looks confused. 

"Are you some sort of witch? You look like a Pagan and they have witches, I'm told." Rona chuckled. She shook her head.

"No, I'm no witch...at least, I do not think so. But...I am Pagan, yes." 

Alfred pointed at Rona.

"Then why are you wearing a cross around your neck? And...why does it look like mine?" Alfred asked, holding up the matching crucifix necklace he was wearing.

The necklaces were identical. Rona soon recognised the necklace that Alfred was wearing. It was her Father's. Her Father then gave it to Ragnar and Ragnar must have given it to Alfred. It was identical to the crucifix that Athelstan had made for Rona when she was a child.