Prologue

Part I

Thor was angry. That was evident from the roaring thunder in the sky. Every roar was followed by a strike of lighting. The rain was pouring like a waterfall.

Athelstan was in his room with his wife, Hildr and his friend Helga. Hildr was in labour and was in great pain.

"I can't do it anymore!" Hildr cried. "Athelstan, please, make it stop!" Hildr begged with tears in her eyes.

Helga was in front of Hildr's legs, trying to keep her still, while Athelstan was sat next to the bed, holding Hildr's hand and stroking her hair.

Ragnar and Floki waited outside of the room. Helga wouldn't let them in. She was hesitant to let Athelstan be in the room for Hildr to give birth as she was unsure how he would handle the situation. However, Hildr insisted that Athelstan be there.

"You're nearly there Hildr. Just keep going." Helga said encouragingly. Hildr obeyed and continues pushing, but not without screaming in pain. Tears formed in Athelstan's eyes. He hated seeing Hildr in such pain.

"You can do it. I know you can." Athelstan whispered to Hildr.

Finally, Hildr gives one final push and the cries of a baby can be heard throughout the room. Helga holds the baby for a few seconds and swaddles the child in some cloth before reaching to hand the little one to Hildr.

"A healthy baby girl. Congratulations Hildr, Athelstan." Helga states with a smile on her face. Hildr hands her daughter to Athelstan and Helga proceeds to tend to Hildr after her ordeal.

Ragnar and Floki suddenly enter the room.

"So," Ragnar starts. "I have a goddaughter now." Athelstan smiles at his friend, referring to the Christian tradition of godparents. 

"You do indeed." Athelstan replies.

Floki keeps his distance and walks over to Helga and stands with her. Despite his strong dislike of Athelstan, Floki had grown to respect Hildr and couldn't help but feel happy for the couple.

"What will you name her?" Floki asks.

"Rona." Hildr croaks. "Her name is Rona."

"Ah, a name meaning 'mighty strength'. Well, she will surely live up to her name and become a very strong young woman. Just like her Mother." Ragnar says with a smile as he places a hand on Hildr's shoulder. Hildr gives Ragnar a weary smile.

Athelstan lays his forehead against Hildr's and kisees her lightly on the lips.

"I love you." Athelstan sighed. Hildr smiled, staring down at her daughter, who was now calming down after crying for a period of time.

Ragnar approaches Athelstan and puts his hand on his friend's shoulder. Athelstan turns to face Ragnar.

"May I hold her?" Ragnar asked. Athelstan nodded.

Hildr holds Rona out to Ragnar and Ragnar takes her gently in his arms. He smiles at the child.

"Now, Rona. You have a wonderful, beautiful mother and a brave and kind father. You make sure you're good for them okay? Listen to them and you'll grow up to be an amazing person, just like your parents, maybe even more so." Athelstan and Hildr smile at each other and share another quick kiss before Ragnar hands Rona back to Hildr.

Helga finishes looking after Hildr and herself and Floki eventually leave the room to go home.

"I should go and see Aslaug. No doubt she will still be awake with baby Ivar." Ragnar announces, standing up. Athelstan stands up too.