Chapter Twenty-Nine

After the sacrifice had taken place in the town square, Ivar had just said his goodbyes to Floki and Helga. Now, he needed to go and make sure Rona was alright. He had ignored and avoided her for long enough. He wanted his friend back. He could only hope that he was not too late to make amends as the fleet was to leave for England tomorrow. 

Ivar had eventually managed to make his way to Rona's house. He could see light coming from inside, so he knew she was there. Ivar dragged himself towards the door and knocked a couple of times. 

"Leave now before I cut your throat!" Rona yelled from inside. Ivar smirked to himself. 

Ivar pushed the door open and dragged himself inside the house. He saw Rona sat at the hearth, poking the firewood around with a metal fire poker. Rona watched Ivar as he entered. She looked angry. Ivar had better watch what he says unless he wants to end up with that fire poker in his eye. 

Ivar pulled himself onto a stool and sat down. 

"Make yourself at home why don't you?" Rona scoffed. Ivar sighed. 

"I am sorry for how I've been acting...I just...I could never support Lagertha after what she did to my Mother." Ivar explained.

Rona hung her head down.

"I know." Rona said.

"I am also sorry about what happened in the town square tonight." Ivar said, hoping he would get a somewhat positive response. Rona almost laughed.

"Sorry? You're sorry!? That's all you can say!?" Rona yelled, now standing up, still with the fire poker in her hand. 

Ivar had to reign in his urge to yell back as he knew he shouldn't mess with Rona, not right now. It would not end well for him. Ivar took a breath to calm himself before speaking.

"I am sorry, yes." Rona looked at Ivar and saw that he was being genuine. 

Rona put down the fire poker and sat down, laying her head in her hands.

"I feel so stupid." Rona groaned. 

Ivar's heart ached for his friend. She was truly hurt. 

"Don't feel stupid. Margrethe had a hold over all of us, me included." Ivar said.

"I know. You are all infatuated with her." Rona replied.

There was a short pause in conversation before Ivar began to speak again.

"Margrethe and I were supposed to spend the night together a while ago, you know." 

"I could have guessed." Rona said, smirking.

"It did not go well." Ivar said, a sad smile on his face. 

Rona could see that he was trying his best not to get emotional. There was more to this story than Ivar was letting on. 

"What happened?" Rona asked.

"I umm...Lets just say that I am unable to 'satisfy' a woman..." Ivar paused and took a breath. "...and I am unable to have children." Ivar said, his voice breaking. 

Rona could almost feel Ivar's pain. In Viking culture, having children was the goal for most people and knowing that Ivar would probably never have that, it was sad. 

"I'm sorry to hear that, Ivar." 

Ivar smiled at Rona, wiping away some tears.

"I want us to be friends again. I am finished being mad at you. I know we shall probably end up fighting each other on the battlefield one day but I don't want that to stop us from being friends for right now." Ivar said. Rona smiled, touched by Ivar's words.