Chapter Thirty-Seven

AUTHOR'S NOTE

In the banner above, is Njáll (shoutout to @BellaThurwin for the suggestion!), or at least how I would imagine him (Zach McGowan as Charles Vane in Black Sails, LOVE HIM!). 

Njáll's Origin:

I'm aware that Ellisif and Vik did not have much screen time in the show but I felt like their short stint in the show was a good opportunity to give Rona more of an original storyline instead of just following the show. Expanding Ellisif and Vik's storyline has given me Njáll, my own original character who I've created to be Vik's former right hand man/best friend. This storyline has now given 'The Valkyrie's Daughter' potential to expand beyond the ending of the actual Vikings show. But I would really appreciate some comments saying whether you'd read a book that's essentially a sequel to the actual show or now as I do not know if anybody would be interested as the story would be 100% original even if the characters etc. aren't. This is not a promise of more books after this one but I would very much like to explore Rona's story beyond the show if anybody would be interested in hearing her story progress. Again, I have not fully planned the remainder of this book yet so the story may proceed in a way in which Rona's story will not continue (it may just come to a natural end). But I would like to look into the idea.

Thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoy the chapter! And please do leave a comment to let me know if you'd be interested in the above idea! Thanks!

***

Rona enters her tent. Hvitserk is sat on her bed.

"Oh. Hvtserk?" Rona says, a little bit confused.

"Hello."

Rona begins packing her things, as if Hvitserk is not there. The pair are in an uncomfortable silence for a while until Rona has finished packing the majority of her stuff. Rona stood, hands on her hips, looking around her tent, making sure she had packed everything she could.

"I did not want to bother you, but I wanted to make sure you were alright after what happened with the Princess and Harald." Hvitserk says, genuine concern in his voice.

"I appreciate you checking on me. But I'm fine. Harald will get his comeuppance." Rona begins pacing the length of her small lodgings. 

"Comeuppance?" Hvitserk asked.

"Harald will get his comeuppance whether I am the one to deliver it or not. Vik will be revenged. I can just feel it." Rona said.

"Rona..." Hvitserk paused. "You aren't going to do anything stupid, are you?" Rona shakes her head.

"I'm not going to kill Harald if that's what you're eluding to. I'm not that stupid." Rona says.

Hvitserk looks at Rona's face for a moment. She looks exhausted but she also looks as if she is not mentally present. It's as if she is disassociating like she did after Ragnar's death. Her eyes are glazing over little by little. 

"You are acting different. You aren't fully here. I can see it in your eyes." Hvitserk says. He reaches his hand out to cup Rona's cheek as an attempted mark of affection. She pulls away.

"You'd be right. My head is not here. But I'm having to just move along with things. If I don't, I will end up mute and stiff again like I was after your Father's death." Rona explained.

"What pulled you out of that? You seemed to wake up one morning and you were almost back to normal." Hvitserk asks. Rona sits down and covers her face with her hands. Hvitserk kneels down in front of her.