Chapter Twenty-Five

Rona was on her way to visit the four younger Ragnarssons. She was rather apprehensive as she was unsure what their feelings towards her were. She was less afraid about Hvitserk since they had talked about the whole Lagertha situation and Ubbe's opinion of Rona hadn't really changed judging by their meeting in the marketplace yesterday. She didn't think that Sigurd would be too unpleasant towards her. However, Ivar, he was going to be much more hostile towards her today. 

Rona arrived at the small outbuilding by the Great Hall that the Ragnarssons were currently residing in. She knocked on the door. Thankfully, it was Ubbe that answered. 

"Rona! Come on in." Ubbe smiled and stepped aside to let Rona into the house.

"Thank you, Ubbe." Rona stepped inside. 

The house was quite small. There was four beds on one end of the room and a hearth and fire in the middle with a loom and some weapons. Rona was surprised they were allowed to keep their weapons with Lagertha being on high alert since the Ragnarssons' attempt at her life. Then again, Lagertha did have an entire entourage of shieldmaidens to protect her and she could defend herself too.

Hvitserk, Ivar and Sigurd were all sat around the hearth. Sigurd was plucking away at his lyre while Hvitserk was drinking and Ivar was...sharpening a dagger. 

As soon as Rona entered the room, she could feel the hostility in the air. 

"Look who came to see us." Ubbe announced.

"Hello." Rona said, almost timidly. She was nervous about Sigurd and Ivar's reactions to her. 

As soon as Ivar realised Rona's presence his head snapped up. He glared at her. He didn't say a word and just continued sharpening his dagger...more aggressively now though. 

Sigurd's reaction was a little more neutral, thankfully. He looked at Rona and gave her a polite nod.

"Hi Rona." Sigurd said. Rona nodded in response. 

"Can I take your cloak?" Hvitserk offered. Rona smiled.

"Sure, thank you." Rona replied. 

Rona removed her cloak and handed it to Hvitserk, who hung it up along with his and his brothers' cloaks near the door. 

Ubbe retrieved a jug and a cup. He poured a drink and passed it to Rona.

"Here, drink up." Ubbe said, passing Rona her drink before returning to his seat. 

"Thanks." Rona replied before taking a seat on the only empty chair in the room, which just so happened to be between Hvitserk and Ivar. 

Ubbe raised his cup and began to speak.

"To all of us...being together again?" Ubbe said.

Everybody raised their cups, apart from Ivar and said "Skål" before taking a sip of their drinks. 

The atmosphere in the room was awkward. Very awkward. Ivar continued to glare at Rona, which made her very uncomfortable. 

Rona decided to try and ease the tension in the room.

"So, when is the wedding, Ubbe?" Rona asked. Ubbe smiled. 

"In three days time. You'll be there, right?" Ubbe replied. Rona smiled and nodded.

"If you want me there, I will be there." Rona replied. 

"Of course, I want you there. You're family." 

Rona smiled. She was touched by this. Even with their alliances being different, Ubbe's opinion of Rona hadn't changed. It felt nice to still have her friendship with him. But this nice feeling didn't last long.