Chapter Twenty

It was morning when Rona opened her eyes. The sun shone through the small gap in her tent, making Rona's eyes squint.

The young sheildmaiden attempted to sit up but was stopped by a surge of pain coming from her midriff. Rona clutched at the area of pain and lifted her tunic to reveal the stitched up wound she had received the previous day.

Rona's memories came flooding back. The battle, her vision, Floki saving her...Ragnar dying. Rona slowly laid herself back down and stared at the ceiling of the tent. No tears left Rona's eyes. She didn't even have the energy to cry at this point.

Rona felt utterly and completely numb. Her mind just continued to repeat the events of the previous day: the battle, the vision, Floki, Ragnar.

Rona turned to lay on her right side, careful not to put any pressure on her wound. Again, yesterday's events played through her mind: the battle, the vision, Floki, Ragnar.

Unknown to Rona, Hvitserk had spent the night sleeping on top of some blankets on the ground of Rona's tent to watch over her, as he had promised Bjorn he would.

Hvitserk had heard Rona's movements and he began to stir from his sleep. He slowly opened his eyes and stretched before sitting up. He turned towards Rona and was taken aback a little bit when he saw that she seemed to be staring right at him.

It took a moment for Hvitserk to realise what was going on. Rona was not looking at him. It was as if she was looking through him, almost like he wasn't there. The poor girl seemed completely out of sorts.

Rona continued to stare at the young prince. The battle, the vision, Floki, Ragnar. Again and again, all the young girl could see was the utter horror of the previous day.

Hvitserk proceeded to edge himself closer to Rona's bed and he raised his hand and gently stroked her face.

"Good morning, Rona." Hvitserk said in a quiet voice, being careful not to startle her as she was obviously already in a very shaken up state.

No reply came from Rona. Her eyes seemed to focus on Hvitserk for a moment and Hvitserk smiled softly, realising that he had brought Rona out of her daze somewhat. But the young girl did not speak or even smile. She just looked into Hvitserk's eyes for a moment before looking away and her eyes soon fogged over again: the battle, the vision, Floki, Ragnar.

Hvitserk sighed. He gently placed a kiss on Rona's forehead before he proceeded to fully dress himself in his armour.

After getting himself ready for the day ahead, he went over to Rona once again. She was still laying on her side, simply staring into nothingness.

Hvitserk approached Rona with slight caution, again, he did not want her to become more shaken up than she was.

"I'm going to help you sit up, okay?" Hvitserk said. Rona did not even look in Hvitserk's direction.

Rona could feel Hvitserk put his hands around her body as he helped her to sit upright. She was still dressed in her tunic and trousers. Hvitserk just has to assist her into her armour, boots and cloak.

Throughout the process of dressing Rona, Hvitserk did not see the young girl's expression change apart from the occasional flinch whenever she would move too quickly or Hvitserk would make her armour too tight (which Hvitserk would apologise profusely for each time).

After helping Rona get dressed, Hvitserk gently laid her back down on her bed, wrapped up in her cloak as he awaited Bjorn's visit.

The silence was deafening. The worst part was that Rona would barely glance in Hvitserk's direction. It was like Rona was here physically, but mentally she was in another place entirely. A place far, far away, too far for Hvitserk to reach, which frustrated him to no end.