Chapter Eleven

Hours had passed and it was now almost dark. The stars were emerging in the sky and the moon had begin to appear.

Rona was now sat at the back of the boat with Hvitserk. Dinner had just been finished and the boat was now setting off sailing again. Luckily the wind had began to pick up so the men did not have to row for a while.

Bjorn, Floki and Helga were chatting while Hvitserk and Rona were sat together, bundled up in some furs. Rona didn't know exactly what time it was but she could tell that it was getting late.

Bjorn kept sneaking glances towards Rona while he was talking to Floki and Helga. This made Rona feel uneasy. Rona knew Bjorn well and knew when he was feeling off or when he was hiding something from her. 

Rona turned to Hvitserk to question him about his brother's actions.

"Why is Bjorn acting so strange?" Rona asked. Hvitserk shrugged.

"I have no idea. Why?" Hvitserk replied.

"I just have a feeling he's hiding something. He's been avoiding me since we left Kattegat and he hasn't given me any information about our next step in our journey, which is strange." Rona explained. Hvitserk shook his head.

"I cannot think of anything he would want to keep secret from you." Hvitserk said. Rona nodded. Rona had a feeling about Hvitserk's behaviour too. He had something to hide aswell. Rona knew when not to question Hvitserk. He had a tendency to become rather unpleasant and very defensive if he had something to hide and Rona was far too tired to deal with another argument today. So she let Hvitserk be.

It was a couple of minutes before Rona spoke again.

"Your father will have set off on his journey to England by now." Rona stated.

"And Ivar has gone with him." Hvitserk replied with a sigh.

"I still cannot believe your mother let him go." Rona said. Hvitserk nodded in agreement.

"Me too. I never thought she would let him leave Kattegat," Hvitserk paused. "But then again, Ivar doesn't let anyone tell him what to do, even mother." Hvitserk explained.

"Your brother and yourself are very much alike then." Rona joked. Hvitserk scoffed.

"Shut up, we should get some sleep." Hvitserk replied, elbowing his friend. Rona smiled.

Rona snuggled into her furs and Hvitserk put his arm around Rona, Rona moved in closer to Hvitserk and placed her head on his chest. Hvitserk placed his head on top of Rona's and the two eventually fell asleep cuddled up together.

*

Rona awoke on a boat but when she looked either side of her, Hvitserk was nowhere to be seen. She scanned the boat, looking for familiar faces, Bjorn, Floki or Helga. But she couldn't see any of them.

Rona began to look beyond the boat itself and looked for the fleet which was supposed to be following them. She could only see two other ships. 'Where's Bjorn's fleet?' Rona thought. She could not catch sight of King Harold or Halfdan either.

It did not take long for Rona to realise that she could be having another vision. But she was asleep this time, which was strange. But the one thing that was the same was the pain in Rona's temple. It was not as extreme as it was the first time she had a vision. Although, Rona concluded that this could be to do with the fact that she was already unconscious.