Chapter Twenty-Two

A few days had passed. The journey from The Mediterranean back to Frankia took longer than anticipated due to some storms. They were not too major but they still delayed the journey and now the fleet were tired and ready for home, particularly Rona who still had not really slept too well since the battle in Saracen.

The fleet were docking in Frankia and some of Rollo's men had sailed out to meet the Viking fleet to retrieve the duke. Tensions were obviously still high between the Frankish royals and the vikings, otherwise the fleet would have probably been welcomed on land. 

Bjorn, Hvitserk and Rollo were at the front of the boat, looking towards the Frankish boats that were approaching them. Rona was busy sharpening her sword but stopped when she noticed that the boat was about to stop. She went and stood by Hvitserk who gave her a small smile and nod after noticing her presence. He put his arm around her. This surprised Rona a little, but she went along with Hvitserk's affectionate gesture.

As the fleet were nearing the Frankish troops that had been sent to collect Rollo, Bjorn began to speak.

"Frankia...Home?" Bjorn asked Rollo.

"I don't know. Difficult to return." Rollo replied. He seemed nervous, which was not usual of him. 

"When we return, Rona, my brothers and I, we will have to avenge Ragnar's death," Bjorn explained, looking at Rollo. Rollo nodded. "That will be difficult for you too. You would not be welcome, for what you did to all of us. And I would have to kill you." Rollo actually looked somewhat sad upon hearing Bjorn's words. Was there still some part of him that had remained Viking, even through all of the things he had done over the last few years?

As Bjorn and Rollo continued talking, Rona looked out to the rest of the fleet. She noticed Harald and Halfdan talking with a man. He was unfamiliar. Granted, Bjorn's fleet was large and Rona did not know all of the crew by name, but she recognised most of their faces. This mystery man also had a bad vibe about him. 

Harald, Halfdan and the man were stood close together, looking around themselves every once in a while, making sure they were not being listened to. They were obviously up to something

After a moment or two, Halfdan was looking around the trio when he caught eyes with Rona. The two stared at each other for a moment. Rona stared right at Halfdan in an attempt to intimidate him. It worked. He looked away quickly and returned to talking with Harald and the unfamiliar man.

As the Frankish troops grew closer, Harald and Halfdan transferred onto Bjorn's boat to say their goodbyes to Rollo. 

After his conversation with his uncle, Bjorn went to sit down for a moment. Rona and Hvitserk remained where they were. A child called out to Rollo. It was one of his sons. Rollo smiled. Bjorn looked towards his uncle with an almost disapproving look before standing up again and approaching him. 

"Are you going to go home?" Bjorn asked.

"I know what I have to do." Rollo said. By now the Frankish troops had reached the longboat in which Rollo was. Rollo turned to face the rest of the fleet and continued to speak. "I want to make you all an offer." Rollo announced.

Rona watched Rollo, curious. What in the Gods' names was he doing!? Rona caught sight of Floki (who was now travelling on Bjorn's boat along with Helga and the young girl Helga had decided to bring with them, apparently her name was Tanaruz). He was pacing up and down the length of the boat, eyeing up Rollo suspiciously.