30. "I love you"

Ashley's POV
Diego reaches his hand in between the metal gate bar gaps and fumbles with the gate lock.

"You can just hop over" Cole says in a dead pan tone.

"No because I'm scared of heights dipshit" Diego says back in a sassy tone.

I hold in my laughter, knowing now is definitely not the time to just burst into a fit of laughter.

The lock clinks and Diego looks back at us with a triumphant look on his face.

"See"

He pushes the gate causing a loud ear piercing screech to ring the air.

The sound causes a shiver to run through me, "well if anyone was to be keeping an eye out for us, we would be fucked right about now" Cole says glaring at the back of Diego's head.

Diego smiled sheepishly at him before walking on ahead into the field.

We follow after him.

The three of us cautiously looking around.

"Make sure not to step on anything" Cole mumbles as he walks behind me.

"Yep"

"I see something" Diego says and turns slightly right, walk-in towards whatever he sees.

Cole and I follow after.

We soon make it to a picnic blanket with snacks on it and two smashed up phones along with a messed up laptop.

"Well that's definitely Elijah's phone" Cole mumbles crouching down and picking up the shattered device.

He runs his thumb along the ruff broken glass edges.

Diego moves the stuff off of the blanket before lifting it up.

A piece of paper catches my eye so I quickly crouch down and take it.

I unfold it and the two of them walk to stand beside me and peek in.

It has an address.

'𝟸𝟷𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚅𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚕𝚊𝚢𝚊. 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚔𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚞𝚜 𝚠𝚊𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐'

"Back into the cars" Cole says glancing around for the millionth time. He pockets Elijah's phone.

"Wait" Diego mumbles as he messes around with the laptop, hitting different keys.

"Nothing?" Cole asks.

"Nothing" Diego repeats standing back up.

Cole nods his head to the cars motioning for me to start walking so I do so, he follows close behind me.

Diego stays a small bit behind, checking something on his phone.

"Vanessa is gone"

We stop in our tracks and turn to look at Diego.
He stands there, his facial features now more tense than ever.