5.1. The Four Ss

Hayden

"Who is Nazira?"

Pruthvi's voice rang like a huge banging gong in my dazed mind. All the way down the walkway I hoped against the hope for it not to be what I thought it was. I had to get back to her room. I had to make sense of this series of events. I crept inside the room only to find that it was empty. My heart sank. There were no papers. No duffle bag. No painting accessories. It seemed like an unused room with an unused bed, a table, and a chair. The window closed, slightly dim light streaming in, and plenty of still air inside.

I ran my hand across my hair and sighed in exasperation. Things were quickly slipping out of my hands.

My friends began to call my name, a quaver in their voices adding to the chorus of anger. How was I going to prove that their memories were erased? Perhaps the question was why would Nazira do this to them? Or was this part of Shashi's plan?

I walked back to them, being nervy all the way and feeling like walking up a steep mountain.

"Hayden, we're worried," Celina said, stepping forward. "Explain it to us, what's going on?"

"And what can we do to help?" Tyrell added.

"There's nothing we can do about it," I replied. "Not until you guys really make an effort to believe me."

"Try us," Pruthvi asked, firmly. "Who is this person you're talking about?"

I took a deep breath and rambled on for a moment. Whatever could I do to dig to the bottom of what had actually sparked this blaze? "Alright. Answer my questions," I said to Pruthvi. "As quick as you can and say the very first thing that comes to your mind."

He nodded numbly.

"Do you remember your abduction?"

"Yes."

"Who abducted you?"

"Shourya."

"What for?"

"Shashi wanted my stone."

"And?"

Pruthvi took a moment. "And nothing. Just that."

Pause.

"Do you remember our first job together?"

"Yes."

"Where did we go?"

"Rawat's palace."

"What did we go for?"

"To fetch Shaatrumani Stone."

Pause again. "What if I tell you that we didn't even know about its existence until Ashwant made me aware of it?"

He shrunk his eyes. "Why would you tell me that? Doctor had informed us everything about it before we went for the job. He told us that perhaps Tyrell was being targeted because Shashi must be looking for the Shaatrumani Stone and the reason why he needs Tyrell on his side is this. He wanted to act quickly and that's why he sent us together to search for it in the palace."

My heart plummeted. "Would you believe if I say that that's not what happened?"

Tyrell and Celina shared a quick glance.

"What's there believe?" Pruthvi said, sounding a bit frazzled. He stepped up front, fisting his hands and I froze solid for a moment. "Together we figured that Jyran had already taken possession of it. We got into a huge fight with him and he tried to kill me. Hayden, sure it is the matter to worry about but I highly doubt whose memories among us have been tampered with."