8.2. Against the Clock

Hayden

After an immediate formal announcement, Dakshinpur bustled with activity. Despite Ira Zutshi spending the entire time opening and securing the Gates for fast and easy transport, streets were hemmed with throngs of people and carriages full of luggage. Bit by bit, through internal migration, the people of Sharad risked their way toward Rawat. Sometimes squashing and crushing amongst themselves, rushing off in a hurry to get to the safer place and away from the creatures. They were just so many in number. There were creatures above and hurrying people on the ground. Earth and sky were full of chaos and confusion.

"This is a huge risk," Yuvan mumbled suddenly.

Both of us were standing underneath the shade of the tree to escape the bitterness of the frosty snowfall and watching Sharad's knights well-regulating the movements of the people and helping them descend into the manhole- the entrance to the hidden dynasty. Vibrations, undulations, and strange sounds came from below the ground. The fusion was quickly being achieved.

"I know," I replied. "But it's a calculated one."

"Your Majesty, there's hardly a place for another clan to fit in our underground shelter let alone an entire dynasty."

"Pruthvi and his Constellia are in the process to provide you with more space. They are willing to build more bunkers for you. You don't have to make any more life adjustments, Yuvan. Just live collectively and help each other out, that's all I ask."

He breathed a long sigh, then cast a glance about me. "For how long?"

My mouth felt dry. That was a good question. "Could be a month, or two, or a year. I can't say."

"Not so reassuring."

"You cannot forget the support Sharad has provided you for all these years. In a crisis like this, you should able to honor the debts more than ever."

He blinked into the sudden blustery wind and nodded, although disapprovingly.

"I got a job for you," I continued, slightly shivering and keeping my eyes on a single creature that had taken a sudden nose-dive and then flew back and forth like waves. "I've seen your archers and shooters. They're all well-trained and equally admirable. But I want you to choose your best ones without being in favor of anyone. Give me the names by the end of this week and I shall officially have their titles and clans changed. You hear?"

He stood mouth gaped, letting out a faint hissing sound and staring unblinkingly.

"What?"

"That's the job for a Noble Knight," he whispered with desperation. "Does that mean...are you making it official?"

I smiled, detecting an impish glint dancing in his eyes. Probably it was best not to raise his hopes too much already. "You're still too young, Yuvan. Panchayat will have a problem with a young inexperienced Noble Knight being on duty for a young inexperienced king. But the tradition says the spot is reserved for you. So, I'm willing to take a chance and let you undergo a probationary period until you're fully qualified. However, if you do a bad job, I'll fire you without hesitation. Deal?"

"You bet!" he squealed, flinging up his hands and clapping. "Thank you! Thank you!"

"Perfect," I said, looking back up at the creature still flying up and down. "Another thing." I handed him the tiny metal key to our apartment. "Meet me in my room the day after tomorrow. Same time. Got something for you and Singh to work on."

"Singh?" He gasped. "As in your Constellia, the lion?"

"Yes. Any problem?"

"Uh-huh! Normal people like me still find lions a bit too scary, Your Majesty."