16. Half-Drowned

Haimavati

The masses had never thirsted to such a degree for the truth before.

Panchayat and nobility across the country were responding to another night of escalating unrest after clashes erupted between rioters and knights. The outraged rioters were animal-like, as though they were impelled to rouse the agitation.

Farms and huts were set aflame. Streets were blocked. Doors and windows shattered. The knight's pushback caused the stampede. And the harrowing sounds of the war cries prompted the impending doom and disasters. The knights were trying their best not to use the force of violence to suppress the riot. They were only supporting clemency on Haima's urge.

Haima lay low, sitting in the corner of the chamber and ceaselessly surging her powers out to the world in an attempt to alter the rioters' state of mind and end the ongoing nightmare. She triggered the changes in the climate, from thunderstorms to heat waves. She relied on the fabrication magic, drowning their senses with the possible outcome of this madness. She created pictures of droughts, famines, starvation, gruesome massacres, and poverty. But the counterattack was just as powerful. Haima was being put to the test.

"Haimavati, come out and speak the truth!"

"Confess your crimes!"

"How dare you plot to murder our Goddess Lady Chandrika!"

"Are you hiding in your grave?"

The mob reformed all around the building of the Panchayat. Their voices raised in unison as they demanded to see the queen. Haima, who had never bowed to anyone she deemed unnecessary, was being humiliated. She stayed quiet, straight-backed, and strong against the rabble of revolution. She was not humble, not apologetic, nor begging for mercy, but had the iron will of a knight facing a battle line. Faced with this defiant, unyielding, prideful woman, the crowd bellowed a cry she had not heard for many years- "A traitor for a queen!"

Yells and provoked accusations weighed heavily on her. She had managed to clear her name in the Panchayat by producing a lie that was going to go down in history. But, in all her years of being involved in politics, Haima had never guessed that Lady Chandrika would effectively use the mobs to gain power and seek after the truth. Even on her deathbed, the older woman was able to think of such wicked ways. She was using her political tools to manipulate the social class to demand Haima be at their mercy.

Haima took a deep breath and concentrated to continue using her magic. There was inevitable fear, but she filtered the unwanted evil thoughts and tuned them into goodwill, preferring to conquer the rioters with love and humility.

The night fell. The angry cries of indignation were reduced. The air was filling up with the scent of smoke and dust. "Die, Haimavati!" An angry voice blustered. The glass of another window inside her room shattered and the glowing, spectral fragments spread across the floor. Youths were throwing stones and calling her name out again and again, wishing for her death. When will they realize that only their well-being was of paramount importance to Haima? She did not deter though. Having her eyes resolutely shut, she orated the chant, and more vigorous chants, relaxing and nurturing her mind to be in peace and meditativeness.

Her chamber shone suddenly. The shards of brilliant light poked her eyes breaking her concentration. She stayed calm and collected, veiling her emotions, even though her heart thudded in her chest. She opened her eyes, every corner of her room blazing with light, and watched Lady Chandrika transporting herself to Haima's chamber through the tremendous oval-shaped opening.

Haima stood up, watching the older woman stumbling a bit. She held onto the table for support. The Gates closed, and Lady Chandrika coughed, her breath heaving quickly in and out. Her greying hair was long and loose, matted about her cheeks. And skin...glossy and green like algae in stagnant water, with black spots sprouting out here and there. "You," she said, her voice gurgling, eyes red and swollen. "You killed my son, and now forcing me to endure this suffering."