10.2. Step over the Game

Haimavati

Things turned out wrong on all counts.

The U-shaped table was in the middle of the meeting room and Haima sat at the top, her hands clasped together and constantly fiddling with her knuckles. Lady Chandrika and Parthiva having settled on either side of her, leaned forward and backward referring to every point on how Almourah must have discerned the way to establish the loophole. Parthiva tactfully did not bring either her or Singh's name as the main conspirators. His argument was a mixture of distortions, falsehoods, and bigots. So much that Haima felt sick to her stomach.

Obnoxious buzzing voices made her mind fuzzy. She sat numb, blankly watching the light breeze blowing the white silky curtain away from the window. She was speechless and it was the result of the emotion straining her system. Lady Chandrika and Parthiva succeeded in persuading the Panchayat members that Yajna could still be absolute. They deliberated for an hour and made it official that it was Almourah, all Almourah, who created the invisible man in order to undermine Parthiva's efforts of revolutionizing magic. That obviously brought upon a proposition that the convenient time to destroy the invisible man was during the month of the Fest.

"Lady Haimavati," called one of the members. "If during the Fest next year, Yajna becomes absolute, then by the contract..."

"Should Parthiva be successful in eradicating the invisible man, the contract shall come into effect," Haima said and swallowed a hard lump. "I will bestow on Lady Chandrika the honor of becoming the High Queen."

"Do we have your word that you wouldn't retract your statement?"

She nodded and articulated nicely. "You have my word."

"And just for the sake of reminding you," said the member, sounding a bit abrasive. "Your alliance with the Samagraha..."

"Will be formed, yes."

Parthiva sat upright and crossed his leg, ankle on the knee.

The member shared a glance with Lady Chandrika. As she gave a nod, they immediately broke their eye contact, as if they didn't want anyone to notice them exchanging strange looks. Too bad that Haimavati did. And that reminded her that the Diamond user wanted the Yajna to be successful not to fulfill her son's desires, but for her reasons best known to the older woman. If true, Haimavati frankly wouldn't know where to start gathering clues for her own good.

The next hour was spent with Parthiva divulging his plan and the easy way to locate the invisible man would be to seek help from fire spirits. Haima pressed her eyes shut, dismayed, knowing very well that that plan was the best way forward to eradicate the loophole. She was finished. All roads were closed. Every boat was missed. There was just no way to put an end to Parthiva's obsession.

From outside the window, there came a howl of a wolfhound.

------------------------------------------

The water fountain placed at the corner of the chamber chimed with the hour. Haima glanced up for confirmation. It was wee over the night and her children must be waiting for her. Fearing that they might start another ruckus over her disreputable involvement with the El Sayeds -since they already had the previous night- Haima decided to call it a night and head back home.

She made the last-minute preparation to gather her personal items, stuffed them in her jute bag, and was about to make her way toward the door when- Boom! -with a violent booming sound, the throne room filled with black smoke. Singh? Haima frowned. But the Constellia that came into the picture, giving her the country's respectful gesture, was tall and beefy Naag.