25.3 The High Demoness

Shashi had been rambling on and on about his vicious ambitions and his desperate attempts for snagging the Pride from Hayden. Tyrell wasn't ignorant to believe that Shashi was doing that without a purpose. Shashi was, in fact, trying to impress him, using the cheapest way possible to persuade Tyrell to be on his side once again. How lonely you're, Shashi!  Gritting his teeth, Tyrell stood up, defying the tremors growing in his nerves and concentrating solely on his stone. Sparks flew out of his hands, and he did not make efforts to control his Formation. He walked slowly around the stalagmite and faced Shashi head-on.

"You aren't the only one who can sense magic from a distance, Tyrell," Shashi said. "Your presence reeks of magic, did you know that?"

Tyrell's eyes fell on the thing Shashi was holding in his hands -The Maiden's cup, the sparkling golden-green double-handed cup, small yet attention-seeking, the size of Shashi's broad palm. Shashi playfully flipped it over in his hand. He must have noticed Tyrell's eyes stuck on it when he lifted it up and casually tossed it into the pond. No! Tyrell gasped inwardly but remained expressionless. The cup floated over the ripples for a second, then pop! pop! pop! water bubbles escaped into the air and the cup went in. Tyrell frowned, the cup did not seem that susceptible to drowning. Something must have pulled it from inside. Something was in the water and Shashi dared him to explore.

Shashi's gaze was sharp and intense. Tyrell swallowed. They stared at each other until Tyrell felt the sense of panic thinning and replaced by a go-get-it aura. He wanted to give it a shot. He was going to go after the cup. And so...he did. No second thought. No ifs and buts. He just did.

Tyrell kicked his heels and bolted towards the pond, swift and slick, like the movement of his lightning. The coldness made him hiss. Shashi waved his hand, and a quick strong wave of the blow knocked him in the gut, having him roll twice in the air. Tyrell shrieked when the blow thrashed him against the ground.

He pulled himself up, sat on his single knee, and commanded his stone. Lightning spurted out of his hands traveling with the speed of the jet and aiming at Shashi's heart. Shashi took a step forward, towards the puddle and plock! he melted.

Tyrell swore.

The water in the puddle at his left-hand side shook like an earthquake. Shashi's figure emerged, looming over. Tyrell commanded his stone, his mind in a frenzy. Electricity zapped out and pierced the water. A grunt escaped Shashi's throat but did not reflect the pain Tyrell had been intending to cause. Having his face contorted with rage, Shashi waved his hand once again before he melted and disappeared.

Tyrell's body exploded with pain. He screamed, falling completely down on the floor, and hugging his body. The pain was deep and excruciating as though swords jamming through his insides. The awful muscle-tearing pain reminded him of Jyran and all the exercises they went through before the successful separation of mind, body, and soul.

Tyrell passed his electricity through the water, but Shashi simply kept disappearing and appearing and hurting Tyrell in the way. Tyrell's ear rang. His nose began to bleed. Ribs cracked. Muscles throbbed, sparing Tyrell no time to orient himself. He now crumbled on the ground in his own pool of blood. Shashi Thribhuvan leered down at him as if he was finally allowed to settle the grudge.

"You could have had a lot of privileges, boy," Shashi's voice sounded dull, but his face was a mixture of anticipation and excitement at having Tyrell thrashed to death. Shashi stood still, feet slightly apart and hands behind his back. "Had you not been so gullible and chose Mackay's side...a lot of special privileges."

The ordeal came to a sudden halt, but that did not reduce Tyrell's pain. He coughed and spat out hot blood. He scrambled up on his knees, breathing heavily, exhaustion too heavy on him. He sniggered through his pain. "Choosing his side. Is it even a matter of siding with someone?"