8.1. Against the Clock

Hayden

"This takes me back to those years..." King Aghasthya said, rubbing his chin and staring up at the sky invaded by hoards of creatures, a trace of sadness heavily clung to his voice. "...when the relationship between Rawat and Sharad was a tense one. Harsh and I only made attempts to start a face-off throughout the cold war but never once dared to attack."

King Harsh's diary must've contained a detailed account of that very provincial conflict. "This is more than that," I said. "Engaging in countrywide cold war does not seem Shashi's style. After all the trouble he'd caused before Almourah's invasion, are we going to believe that Shashi is willing to wait and do nothing until I yield to his demands?"

He inclined his head, frowning out across the premise. "What are the long odds of fearing someone who releases creatures such as these and doesn't use them to attack?"

"Could be anyone's guess," I muttered, having an inkling that the Pride had a major involvement in keeping the creatures harmless.

King Aghasthya and I were standing in the verandah of Sharad's palace, delving into the gravity of the situation and looking over at the wide sweep of the premise. Yesterday the premise celebrated Almourah's death and ennobled me as a new king. Now it sprawled wide yet tiny in the distance, appearing utterly timid and helpless. Two views had never been more different and complicated.

The wet flurry of snow began to fall, sparkling in grey smoke and the ashen clouds that seemed threatening, blotting out the light from the sun. Everything was much darker now. More ominous. More intense.

A bitter wind swept past us, and so did the veins of smoke drifting from the damaged portion of the palace. One of the winged fire-breathing enemy troops flew from above the verandah. It screeched and zapped effortlessly toward the patrolling knights. Screams and yells echoed through the air. The knights instantly fired. Their counterattack was only a provoked response to what served as a taunt. The creature then winged its way up to the sky to join the clan. A taunt, alright, a dangerous and frightening taunt.

"Entire country must be besieged by now," said King Aghasthya. "People need a strong defense in case of an attack. Did you say none of the Samagraha can do anything about it?"

I shook my head, absently thinking about an alternative to the defense the King had referred. "They create natural fire. I don't have the power to beat it yet. Ashwant and Leena could be our best players but their Formation is not sufficiently effective to put an end to the entire clan. Not certainly when they are way up there. Besides, it's impossible to confront them directly without having them retaliate. They are just too many in number. Lots of people can die in the crossfire."

He let out an exasperated groan. "Then who can help us?"

I hated to know the answer. "Nazira."

"Who?"

"Never mind." And that was enough to confirm that everyone's memories were rewired. "Your Majesty, my friends and I need to begin collecting clues about how to deal with these creatures. And I know where to start from. I have plans. But I want to know whether or not Panchayat will see this as a state of emergency or just as another job. I don't have to bring up any more reasons to initiate my duty, do I? "

His sunken eyes, hidden behind the bags of wrinkles, darkened. "The problem is not about Samagraha taking over and trying to annihilate this new clan. In fact, it is quite expected from you and your friends. The problem lies with you as a King taking the lead by the nose without involving other Kings' opinions in this matter or seeking their input. They are the Kings after all. You have to make them feel needed for your own personal gain. This is a part of your duty. Harsh never cared for them and every time landed himself in a sore spot. Nobody wants to expect the same from you."