17. The Third-Eye of Pancharatna

Hayden

"What's the situation?" Shourya asked. His tall intimidating posture, on observing from the ground level, seemed impatient and peevish. Behind him, the Rawat's palace loomed large, austere and forbidding with the red flag at the top waving in the direction of rapidly flying creatures.

Another sturdy man facing Shourya, dressed as same as in black robes, stood backlit by the moon peeking from a small clearing in the cloudy sky. Both of them appeared grave in manner and disposition. "Shashi's sending out a search party to find you," said the man. "He's debating with himself whether to kill you or torture you for the rest of your life."

"So he already thinks that I contrived to keep the Pride hidden."

"Well...did you?"

"How much time do I have?" Shourya quickly asked.

"Can't say," the man replied, tone a bit sympathetic. "Just consider every minute precious. Shourya, you're unnecessarily making your life a rolling dice. Perhaps you should go back to Shashi and have an understanding."

"Shashi's stoned out of his mind to complete the ritual, now that every Third-Eye is within his reach, can't you see? He's not going to spare me anymore." He tightened his fists turning away. A strong blast of howling wind blew past him, rustling the fur on his jacket. "I thought I had put myself on a pedestal when I'd helped him break into the High King's depository."

"I don't get it," the man said. "You helped him gain one and snatched away the other. Why? And what did you accomplish?"

Shourya paused. "Whoever has found a way to have the Pride hidden knows very well that Shashi will not be able to perform the ritual if at least one of the Third-Eyes is missing. He needs to bind all five of them together. Haimavati Roksana's talents were profound after all. Look, I will take care of keeping myself alive. But you...you need to make sure our clan's safe and well until Pruthvi Krishna takes over. I will come to check on you every time I get a chance. Understand?"

The man nodded.

Sssss...

The two men shot their heads down taking a step back and staring pop-eyed at the ground as though staring right through the screen. The colors of the screen shimmered, went white for about a beat, and new colors gradually resurfaced. The scene had shifted.

"Did you hear that?" A woman's voice rang out, her profile completely hidden behind Shourya's tall, broad body standing by a large trunk of a tree. "It sounded like a snake."

The afternoon weather seemed overcast and somewhat dismal, with thick snow falling fast. A few curled-up fallen leaves and fluffy snowflakes cloaked the sides of the picture making the scenario rather clumsy. It needed a great deal of imagination to know in which part of the forest the two people were having a meeting and striking up the conversation.

"Forget about that. Must be wind," said Shourya, his voice lacking the customary shrewdness. "Tell me, what did you find out?"

"Shashi's planning to change the location of the tomb," she said hurriedly. "It's not going to be in the Sherwood Forest anymore. And certainly not in Dakshinpur."

Shourya leaned against the trunk of the tree. "When do you suppose he's planning to do that?"

"As soon as he figures where the Pride is. Shourya listens, Shashi wants to establish quite a few tombs and hide them in different locations. And one of them may or may not be consisting the casket securing his original body."

"To cause more confusion to the Samagraha."

"Also, to buy more time. But for it, he needs the Pride first. He needs to blast off his own casket. He already guesses that you may have given it to Hayden Mackay on Nazira Khan's say. Shourya, is it true?"