38.1. The Final Bargain

The sun had barely made it down the horizon and twilight had begun ruling the sky.

They say that dreaming about flying in the sky indicates your strong desire of seeking freedom. And that the dream of flying is generally a symbol of freedom and success and a sign of confidence. I was having the dream come true today. Literally. I was lying flat on my back on Hardik, with a leg dangling down in the air and half-asleep. The feeling of the wave-like movements of the carpet that gently flew in a circular motion in the dusky windy sky above the lighthouse was doing a better job of relaxing my tensed muscles and calming my stormy brain.

Tyrell was wrong. There was another way to kill Shashi Thribhuvan, without hurting Pruthvi. There was another road that was going to lead to achieving the greater good. Without a shadow of a doubt, it shall be, by far, my toughest task to date. My stone burnt tremendously. Singh was warning me to have control over my mind, the way I was thinking and planning must be agitating him. It had to be done anyway. The Pride had to be wielded and the Shaatrumani had to be used to kill Shashi once and for all. A body was needed to escort the soul to hell. That was the condition, right? Perhaps a little experiment and executing it in a rather different way would change the entire game?

"Hayden Mackay."

My eyes shot open when a voice broke in my mind, and I pulled myself up to a seated position. It wasn't just anyone's voice to not be able to recognize. My heart thudded beneath my chest and I refrained from replying. I simply sat relaxed, with my elbow over my knee, and concentrated on the voice.

"I know you can listen to me. I can hear you breathe."

It was Pruthvi. No, Shashi. I was too numb to even feel the shock, or rather my subconscious mind had known that Shashi was going to use this skill bestowed to Samagraha to easily get to me, just like Tyrell had with a sleeping soul. Ergo, this skill of mind connection and the Formation seem to have no codependence with the soul of the Samagraha. I see.

"How easy it is to contact you now," he said. "We can talk and bicker as you like and spend time conversing all day long. Perhaps I should stick with this body from here onwards. So young, so energetic, and let's not forget the double kinetic power. Pruthvi Krishna is overwhelmingly powerful. I must thank you for bringing him to me, Hayden. You saved my life."

I gulped down and stared at the top of the lighthouse as Hardik flew in random directions, probably reading my jittery nerves.

"That's right, Hayden, I figured," Shashi said. "Dealing with death could be an arcade game, but there's one thing that scares you more than death, more than anything in the world. And that's nothing but you watching your loved ones die. A nice riddle, but surely, I cracked it out. Not to mention, you've done a blunder by releasing your laws so early. It didn't even take me a day to find a flaw and ploy a method to take advantage of it. Poor Pruthvi. He wakes up and dies every nine minutes. I empathize with him. I feel his struggle. He tells me that you guys are like two peas in a pod. You've seen both good days and bad days together. You've grown much closer without even knowing it. Oh, how sickeningly sweet you guys are! Believe me, I honestly admire your friendship."

I remained calm, my breathing consistent.

"Anyway, I don't want to prolong your suffering, and neither Pruthvi's. And I meant it when I said I want to end this too. I want to settle this as much as you do. Over fifty years of wait is a bit too long, isn't it? So, listen. Here are my demands. I needed the stones and the Third-Eyes to gain the Samagraha power. But now that Pruthvi is under my control, his double kinetic power is enough for me to compromise with you. Besides, you've ruined my plans to release the High Demoness's spirit, and I'm going to forgive you for that either. But I want Nazira Khan. Her magic is too good to let go. Things will be simple if you hand her over to me. If you don't, I will go after her myself. Her blood is sweet and spicy, I've smelled and tasted it. But Pruthvi hasn't. Trust me, you wouldn't want to see a brother suck his sister's blood out."