11.1. A Friendly Gesture

Hayden

The patio doors rattled and shook as the wind blustered and howled. A couple of creatures screeched above, noises coming down to grave whines.

My rapid movements and quick footfalls down the staircase alerted a fine number of knights in purple punk retro tuxedo uniforms. The team from Purvachand stood in at-ease position at distinct spots in front of the apartment, only the occasional clop-clop of the horses revealed the wakefulness. The horses were harnessed back-to-back in pairs to the large four-windowed carriage with a purple flag flying at the top. A non-traditional carriage, a never-seen-before omnibus it was, clearly designed for style and speed.

In the middle of the arranged knights, a table and two chairs were set up in readiness. The Chief Minister of the province, Yai Henba, had occupied one of the chairs. A short and stout man was caressing his side-swept slick ponytail, and he tossed it back upon noticing me approaching. In an attempt to look enthusiastic, he smiled but only managed to accentuate his lined face, with his upwards-slanted eyes narrowing a tad.

"Your Majesty?" I greeted him, giving the country's hello gesture.

"Sir," he corrected, greeting me back with the gesture. "That is how other Kings and the employees address me. Please, have your seat."

First impression- sublimed with an intriguing quality.

I calmly dragged the chair back and sat a bit uncomfortably and thoughtfully. There were a few moments of awkward silence, all attentive eyes stuck on me.

"You seem surprised, Hayden Mackay," the Chief Minister said, his voice eloquently reserved without eroding confidence.

"Why wouldn't I be, Sir," I replied. "We never had the opportunity to talk before. Not to mention you of all people came here to meet me at this hour of the night."

"Things have changed, and heavily at that. Get used to it, Hayden. We are all trying to. It's not just me, but none of the Kings of the country haven't had the opportunity to talk with the King of Rawat in the past twenty-five years."

I gave a single nod, flashing a humorless smile. "What can I do for you?"

"Correction," he said. "I came all the way to Sharad to do something for you. It's common knowledge that Purvachand is a significantly more advanced province than the rest of the country. We are the first to combine magic and modern-day technology, and the first to become an industrialized society. Our way of life is...well, for the lack of better phrasing, we generally don't believe in once-and-for-all achievement and shoddy infrastructure. We have achieved a lot and are trying to achieve something that the rest of the country is unconcerned about. All of this is possible only because of the Sedition Act. Seeing how young and energetic you are, I am sure you've applied for it for the same reason."

To a degree, I thought in retrospect but did not comment.

"These flying creatures can be killed," he said pointing up at the sky. "Without needing to lure them down to the ground, which I know is highly dangerous and, if you prefer, impossible. So, I have come here to allow you to use our technology against them."

I raised my brows. "What are we talking about, Sir? Flying machines?"

"Flying Carpets," he said, making me feel a bit queasy. "I know Samagraha possess one. And I will admit that that carpet inspired my mages with all the vision and thoughts for the future. We have a group of highly educated witches and warlocks who have studied and designed carpets and are ready to create many more but in a rather sophisticated way."

He snapped his fingers and a couple of the knights standing behind his back moved from their still positions, however being in their thorough gormless silence. They outstretched their hands and flipped open a carpet each. In the chill wind of reality, the carpets looked like an exact carbon copy of Hardik, for once making me believe that I was experiencing double vision. Same color, the same intricate design, and the same fabric, smaller in size though, and fit for only two people to ride. Nevertheless, there was an extra feature that Hardik lacked. The knights kneeled over the carpet, then secured the safety belts and shoulder harnesses before making an instant take off creating a headwind.