13.1. Partner in Crime

Haimavati

A year later...

"No!" Haima bellowed a penetrating snarl, pushing away the objects placed on the table. Scrolls fell and rolled open on the ground. The copper-plated lantern tumbled, making a huge clanking sound. The tiny glass sculptures smashed. Pieces scattered all over the floor. Impulsivity hissed through her veins, rushing out as fast as magma and just as destructive. She needed to vent out the surge of anger gripping her mind and soul. She gripped the corners of the table, feeling the tightness in her finger. Her breath was heavy and her skin burning.

A deafening thunder reverberated through the room, the sound came as a roaring promise of rain.

"Milady...!"

"Stand back!" she growled at Naag. "I don't need anyone's pity. Nobody needs to remind me how pathetic and helpless I am. Stay right back."

Naag stood at the spot, frozen and head hung down. His snake curled up against his waist, hissing gently in merriment. Fireflies outside the window flew off erratically. With each thunder sound the squeaking and squealing of the children playing outside increased and nerved her to let out another scream of anger. There was a sudden clomping of the unshod hooves of a horse. She pressed her eyes shut. That was Endira passing by. Haima knew that her former friend was making her presence known only to gloat in her face.

"Shaytan Rup," Haima huffed, her throat paining. "Parthiva chose a fitting name for someone so ghostly and shapeless. He's been rewarded with yet another chance to wreak vengeance on me. He is getting stronger and stronger, and is just one step away from destroying the invisible man and letting Lady Chandrika seize my throne." Thunders rolled. She balled up her fist, controlling the growing rage. Innocent little kids were playing outside, she didn't want to intrude on their enjoyment. "I had to congratulate Lady Chandrika. Hug her. Smile with her. Convey a huge thank you for fulfilling every mage's dream of fast travel. How? How did she discover the other uses of the powder from the Silver Rock? What did she call it? That's right- the Gates of Chandrika."

Her mind was fixed on the atrocity she had faced today, the ache in her heart getting unbearable. "Shaytan Rup...why do I feel like he is going to remain a sad part of history?"

"Milady..."

"My husband died and everyone blamed me for his sorrow-filled death," she said, her vision blurring. Hot tears sprung into her eyes, and she wanted to deliver a despairing monologue to let out her frustration. "I had to let my friendship with Endira go, knowing Lady Chandrika's poor quality of justice would destroy the country. So many people died in front of my eyes, and I couldn't save them. It is all because of this Yajna. It's all because of Parthiva. He killed Breaking Samagraha only because there was a necessity to scarify seven more humans, did you know that? That man, I swear, is a blight on the country. His presence is salt applied to everyone's pain and grief. And Lady Chandrika, every time I think I won she somehow manages to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. If I didn't know myself any better, I would have already..." She grunted, stopped herself from finishing the statement and trying not to think about using Kshaturya. She slammed her fist against the table, making the contents rattle with force and she threw herself on the chair and sat with her hand on her head. "Did you figure out what secret mission Lady Chandrika is carrying out yet?"

"No," he said. "She visits Uilani Hill every now and then to help Bhagwad El Sayed make the temple a sacred place. Lately, she has been staying on the hill all night long and I'm unable to figure out why. Apparently, I do not have all the benefits of a naturally born Constellia."

"All night long?" she pondered.

"Milady, there's something I've been trying to convey to you," Naag urged. "Parthiva El Sayed has to cross every Constellias' realm in order to reach the Arena. You know that realms in the Parallel Universe are aligned in sequential order."