20. Lost and Found

Part 2: Divide and Conquer

Chapter 20. Lost-And-Found

Hayden

The Gates of Chandrika, even though discovered by the enigmatic woman Lady Chandrika, was in every sense of the word a brilliant work of nature. Neither supplements nor magic worked against the powder of the Silver Rock. It conveniently allowed Shourya and me to enter the basements without having to go through the hassle of tricking the creatures stationed outside guarding Shashi's home.

I took a quick leap, and Shourya waited until the Gates closed behind us. At a cursory glance, the location appeared lost in gloom and colorlessness. "This way," he whispered and beckoned me to follow before he dashed through the path leading away from the dusky, narrow corridor.

Shourya once again relied on his sneaky ways to stay hidden in plain sight. He dared not open the Gates squarely near the cell that held Nazira captive, for the reasons being so obvious. Every movement, every shudder of his body spoke of his rising anxiety. He was convinced that he would not survive if there was another encounter with Shashi. Undeniably, the chances for that to happen were as good as they might be.

We rushed through the silent corridor keeping our footfalls light and springy.

The walls of the corridor were cylindrically curved with thorn-like pebbles jutting out. There was a cool, damp, and strong metallic scent, as though the caves were belching blood. Shourya and I proceeded on our toes until we reached a bridge over the creek, leading to a walkway behind the tremendous indoor waterfalls. Water was thundering down from somewhere above and down into a pool like a water snout. I ran behind him and through the misty air, quivering a bit in the very catacomb cold.

"Watch your step!" Shourya warned.

I braced myself, maintaining deliberateness. The stony surface of the ground took a sharp turn, descending, and bending into a steep staircase. Stepping down gave me a free-fall floating sensation as though been plunged off a roller coaster. There were a series of staircases built in a zigzag pattern that navigated us into a spacious full-blown cave.

A five-minute hike through an abandoned quarry brought us to the base of the waterfall. The sound of the running water came along as though the buzzing at the showgrounds. Also the sounds like footsteps stepping on something slimy. The very small corner of the basement was decorated with a vast array of stalactites shaped like needles and enormous icicles. There were also bizarre columns, pillars, and translucent curtains that looked like rashers of bacon.

We trudged along the pool of flowing water. There was undissolved blood in the water. I frowned at that. Then the sight of consecutive prison cells made my nerves jitter. Shourya suddenly slowed his pace to a walk. He looked here and there and rubbed his nose. "Where did she go?" he whispered looking about at the cells.

I'd barely heard that. The bloody pool once again grabbed my attention. Something was moving along the water. Every twist and turn, and soaring and diving made the hairs on my arm stand. The strong movements started to create ripples and waves. Soon the thing swam closer to the ground, closer to us, and...

"Watch out!" I yelled and pushed Shourya out of the line of water.

Fire instantly emerged and I hurled my hand forward. From the water came out a creepy snout of a creature. A single-headed creature? Weird. It snarled and screeched, baring its fangs. It snapped back at my fire, biting off my arm and making me fall into its trap.