Pirate AU Part 11

Chapter 11
The Ship of the Dead

Kya could feel it when she went over board. It was surreal, painful, but enlightening. Death wasn't the dark, damp blanket she had expected, but actually a feeling of being lifted away.

The other side wasn't brighter, either. In fact, it looked so similar she was almost certain she could see the Flying Boar sinking in the distance.

Good, that meant Lin was safe.

She looked to her feet, mostly because she wanted to know what she was standing on, but also because she wasn't sure she still had feet. The floor was made of wood, but it was rotten and covered in sea grass. She lifted her hands from the railing she had subconsciously been holding onto, to find they too were covered in sea grass.

"Kya," she turned at the call of her name. A man, fully grown, and bald, the tattoo of an arrow pointing from his head to his face. He seemed vaguely familiar, but maybe that was the death talking.

"Who are you?" She asked.

"Most people call me Davy Jones, but my real name is Aang." She blinked... Aang? Wasn't that the name the Firelord had said to her?

"How did they get Davy Jones from Aang?"

"Well, this uses to be Davy Jones' ship, but now it is mine."

"Oh."

"Don't dwell on it, it isn't a problem."

"Okay." He smiled, and she wanted to reach out to him. He was friendly and his prescence put her at peace, distracting her from the pain in her heart.

"Aang there's more people to- oh." Kya looked as another man, this one younger, perhaps the term 'boy' was a better fit. He looked similar to Aang in every retrospect, bald, tattoo and an arrow. He didn't have the thin chinstrap beard Aang did but there was some stubble.

"Kya?" The boy asked, and Kya nodded.

"What does this... are you dead?" He asked.

"I think so." She replied. Aang looked at him and nodded, and the boy looked about to cry.

"I'm sorry," he said, embracing her. She took the hug, returning it. It felt natural, like she had hugged him a thousand times.

"Let her settle in, Tenzin."

Tenzin.

Tenzin

Tenzin.

Her brothers name was Tenzin.

"Tenzin?" She asked and he looked at her, his eyes solemn.  She looked back at Aang, holding back tears.

"Dad?" He nodded and she raced.to hug him, falling to her knees. He held her, sniffling as the three of them hugged.

"I thought you were with Mom," she cried, "Tenzin I never should've left maybe I couldve saved you I just-"

"I'm not dead, Kya." Tenzin said, "you are."

"What?"

"I'm...  I'm here, helping dad ferry the dead."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the next Davy Jones." Kya blinked, trying to put it all together.

"If you're here... then who's with mom?" No one responded and Kya began to cry.

"I would do anything to be with your mom again," Aang said, comforting her. "But as long as there are souls to be ferried I can not step foot onto land."