Pirate AU Part 12

Pink Skies
Chapter 12: A Painful Goodbye

Lin couldn't believe her eyes. A ship had anchored itself right next to the Revenge, so close they should be touching, but they weren't.

It smelled strongly of the sea, even more so than the ocean itself. It was a dull blue green, except for the bright orange sail at the top, the exact color of the sunset.

The ship had a massive figurehead of what could only be described as as a spirit. Lin had seen the spirit before in children's books, Raava, the spirit of light.

A man stood with a cloak covering half his chest. He was around her age, maybe a year younger, with a small pointed beard. He held a staff in one hand and his eyes were solemn.

"Are you the Captain?" He asked. The ship looked like it should be sunken, like it had been sunken.

It just dawned on her that this was the ship of the Dead.

It was real.

Which meant Kya could be on it.

"I am," Izumi replied from behind her. Lin had forgotten what was going on, taking a couple steps back behind her Captain.

The man smiled, dipping his head.

"Its great to meet you, Izumi, my father had told me stories of the great firelords first born."

"Only born," Izumi corrected, "but who are you?"

"You all call me Davy Jones, but my real name is Tenzin."

The name sounded vaguely familiar to Lin, she had heard it before but the context of it was gone.

"Forgive me for my disgruntled appearance, this role had been bestowed onto me but a few hours ago. My father, Aang, had been Davy Jones for almost thirty years."

Aang...

Now that name she remembered. Kya had told her about it in the fire nation, how the fire lord had asked her if she knew someone named Aang.

"With your permission, Captain Izumi, I'd like to come aboard, and bring with me some of my crew. There are some who wish to say goodbye." Lin felt herself tearing up when he looked directly at her.

She didn't even have to ask, because soon there were people lining up to board their ship. They all had an ethereal glow about them, most of them presenting fatal injuries.

Bataar was among them, and Lin thought she should get her sister.

But she had done enough for her, she deserved to be selfish, just this once.

Kya came across last, a soft grin on her face. Her eyes met Lin's and she started to run. Lin wrapped her arms around her waist, picking Kya into the air, ignoring her tears.

Lin set her down, taking her lovers hands with a sniffle.

"I couldn't protect you," she said.

"Its okay, Lin."

"Its not. I... I swore to myself that you wouldn't get hurt and now-" Kya interrupted her by pressing their lips together. She put a palm on Lin's face, staring into her eyes.