Comfort

These upcoming shorter ones are from tumblr prompts.. enjoy!

Lin left the office late, again, and she was almost certain that she would hear it from Kya when she got home. She picked up a bag of macaroons in hopes it would at least lighten her chew out. She slipped her key in the door, pushing it open with her shoulder.

"Kya! I'm home! I know I'm late, I brought Macaroons! From that store you like." She set the bag on the counter, looking around. Kya wasn't responding. She frowned, it seemed like she got the silent treatment this time.
"Kya,' she said softly, pushing open their bedroom door. The bed was still neatly made, the lights were off, except from the bathroom. She checked her watch at the sound of the shower.
"Kya its almost midnight why are you-" she paused when she pushed open the bathroom door.

"Kya!" She gasped when she saw the waterbender on the floor of the shower, her knees pulled to her chest.
"What happened? Are you okay?" Lin ran her hand over Kya's legs, checking for injuries. The waterbender didn't move, she shivered, not from the cold as the water was hot.

"Lin I...' she paused, taking a deep breath.

"I lost him." She finished. Lin's eyes softened. Kya had come home more than a few times, upset about the on goings of a hospital, but Lin had never seen her this distressed.

"What happened?" Lin asked again, softly stroking her lovers cheek.

"He was fine! He was completely healthy yesterday. I was telling him all about the fire nation, he's a firebender you know, he wanted to see it, the place his father grew up." Lin nodded, listening.

"He had stage three cancer in his lungs. We thought... I thought he beat it. But I was wrong. I lied to him, Lin."

"No you didn't..."

"Yes I did! I told him he was going to be fine, that he might actually get to go home. I told him he'd see the fire nation royal palace and the hot springs and everything and I... I lied." Lin kissed her softly on the head.

"Kya, you didn't mean to."

"I had to tell his family. His father is one of the construction workers on the new housing units. He builds things, for people, is what he used to say." Lin pressed her forhead against Kya's.

"Its going to be okay."

"Its so sad, Lin. Why did it have to be him? Why now?" Lin saw tears mascarading as shower water stream down Kya's face as she broke into painful sobs. She cried into Lin's chest, and Lin soothed her, rubbing her back and running a finger through her hair. Her uniform was getting wet, but she didn't care.

"Kya," she whispered after a while.

"Yeah?" The waterbender sniffled.

"Can you move?" Kya nodded, and Lin helped her stand up, handing her a towel as they made their way out of the bathroom. Kya put on a loose silk nightgown, crawling into bed. Lin shut off the shower, and tidied the bathroom, watching as Kya stared blankly at the ceiling.  Lin got herself changed, and crawled into bed next to her. She kept her distance, unsure if Kya wanted more company. It didn't last long, because Lin felt Kya's fingers linger at her wrist, her sign that she wanted Lin to come closer. Lin shuffled over, wrapping an arm around her wife. Kya laid her head in the crook of Lin's arm, resting slightly on Lin's chest.  Lin watched as Kya's tormented eyes finally gave into sleep. She kissed her on the top of her head, brushing her arm with her hand.

"I love you," she whispered. She closed her eyes, sleeping enough to feel well rested, but maintaining enough consciousness to soothe Kya when she woke again.
"It'll be alright," she whispered, drifting into a light sleep.