The City Part 2

After getting everything successfully loaded Kya, Lin, Kuvira and Opal stood in the windows of their train car and waved at those they were leaving behind in Zaofu. When Suyin and her abundance of children were to far to see, Lin collapsed in a seat next to the window. Kya slid in beside her and Kuvira took the chair facing them.

"This is it," Kuvira said, a hint of nervousness in her voice. "I'm moving to Republic city." Kya offered a confidence boosting grin and Lin stifled a laugh.

"Do have a place yet?" Lin asked. "We should know where to take this stuff." Kuvira blushed, reaching for the back of her neck, scratching it with hesitation.

"I found a place... but it's not available for two weeks."

"That's Republic City for you." Lin replied grimly, "I have a spare room, you can stay with me until it's ready. Some of this will have to go in storage for the time being."

"That's fine," Kuvira said, staring out the window. Kya took hold of Lin's arm, unconsciously stroking it while the two of them watched the trees go by.

"Have you thought about teaching metal bending at all?" Kya asked after a while.

"I've never been one with patience, but I have to try. Besides I've seen your men in action, they can hold they're own. How bad could they be?" Lin scoffed, her lips curving into a smile.

"I'll let you decide that for yourself." Kuvira grinned, relaxing her head on the seat.

"I'm going to try and get some rest, I haven't slept for a few days." Kuvira got out of the booth and and went for the one an isle ahead of them, laying horizontally on the seat. Kya found herself staring at Lin, who looked nonchalanty out the window.

"I can feel you staring at me," Lin said, keeping her eyes trained outside. Kya blushed, shifting herself so she could lean her head on Lin's shoulder.

"I know."

"Do I bother asking why?"

"Because I like you." Kya could the tips of Lin's cheeks redden and she smiled, satisfied with herself.

"Hey when we get there am I supposed to help because I have a date with Bolin and-" Opal interrupted, peaking her head over the seat.

"Opal as soon as this train stops you are a free woman," Lin replied. Kya heard Opal's attempt are a silent cheer and smiled. She noticed Lin's slight smile too.

It took them the better part of two hours to get all the boxes into Lin's apartment building, either in the basement storage or the spare room, but when they were done Lin placed her hands on her hips and gave a satisfying grunt. Kuvira was pacing her room, making sure everything was in its proper place, the two of them weren't related by Kya could see similarities between the two.

"You know," Kya said when Lin flopped into her armchair. "I think you two will get along just fine." Lin looked at her then back at Kuvira who was hanging something behind the door.

"You think?"

"Yeah. I mean you guys are pretty similar." Lin didn't deny it, instead looking at the younger girl with a sense of wonder in her eyes.  "I have to admit, I'm jealous she's moving in with you before me." Kya bit her lips together, waiting for Lin's response. She knew they had only been dating a month, and Lin wasn't one to rush into things it was just... Air temple island had gotten really boring. Most of the time it was empty, Tenzin and her family were off doing airbender things all that were left were monks and Pema- bless her soul- but they were awfully boring. Lin looked at her, her brow furrowed in stress and her mouth fought a frown. "Lin," Kya said, placing a hand on the side of her face, her thumb tracing the scars. "I'm kidding. This is could for you. Helping your sister raise her war criminal foster kid." Lin's eyes widened with fear and Kya dropped her jaw, realizing what she had just inferred.
"Lin that's not what I meant." She pleases as Lin got out of the chair, running for the apartment door, slamming it behind her.