Chapter |10| Putting Old Flames To Rest

"Okay, thanks for calling

"Okay, thanks for calling. And I can pick them up whenever? Yeah, that's fine. Thank you." Setting the phone onto the table, I grabbed my beige Chanel purse and screamed into it.

"Stupid fucking..." My words turned muffled as I pressed the bag harder into my face.

"Uh, Kiara?" Tessa quietly murmured. I stopped screaming and slowly lifted up my head. The entire cafe had stopped whatever they were doing and stared at me like I was crazy or something.

"Sorry, just found out that the new Michael Kors dress is sold out." Most people nodded in understanding, this was the upper east side after all. A few just shook their heads and went back to their conversations.

"Okay, what the fuck was that?" Tessa blurted out, drawing my attention back to the problem at hand here. Her cheeks were a little flushed but I was guessing that was more to do with being embarrassed from my meltdown, rather than the heat.

"Sorry, that was the clinic. I can collect the DNA results now." Two weeks later and they were finally ready, meaning I would have to face Aaron again.

"Shit, should we go now?"

"No, she said I have all day and I'm not ready yet. Plus you have the florist to meet up with."

"Yeah but if you need some support..." I chuckled quietly.

"I really don't. What's it gonna tell me that I don't already know.

Tessa stared at me with a deadpanned expression. "That Tristan is the father instead." That outcome hadn't left my mind but, a mother could just tell right? My daughter was the epitome of Aaron. Her looks, her personality.

Hell, if anything we should be getting a test to find out if I'm really her mother.

"To be honest, I think I like that outcome better. At least then I don't have to deal with Aaron."

"Trust me, you still will. The two of you are like magnets, constantly drawn together even when one of you tried to repel. You can push all you want but in the end, it's inevitable."

She took a large sip of her frothy white cappuccino. All I could do was sigh and lean back in my chair pondering the proclamation.

Were we really inevitable? If so then what was the point of all this fighting, all this drama if we were just meant to be? Surely it should be easier though?

"Are you really going to stay for three months?" I hadn't even told Alessi yet. I was terrified of the whole conversation, what would come up, what he would say?

"What choice do I have." Aaron had made me a deal, a fair honest deal. I couldn't break it, I doubted he would even let me.

"You could run again. I would help you, your parents would. You know your dad would stop Aaron from ever being able to get close to you again."