Chapter |23| Fighting For Her

"And then I did a roundhouse kick and Jimmy fell down

"And then I did a roundhouse kick and Jimmy fell down." Caitlin laughed brightly as I slotted in the house key and opened the door. "It was so cool, and now everyone everyone thinks I'm the best."

"See! I told you it'd be great, and now you can beat up weird boys who try to ask you out."

She gave me that look that Kiara always gave me whenever I said something wrong. "Nice try."

Shrugging, I set the pizza and peeled off my jacket. It was worth a try. The lights up stairs were all one and no contagious laughter echoed through the house so I was assuming that Kiara and Anastasia were napping.

I glanced up at the clock. Huh, it's six. Kiara never keeps her down this late.

"Can you please get Kiara and tell her that food is here? She's probably sleeping." Caitlin ran up the stairs, still practicing her sharp punches in the air.

Tristan was the one who suggested it, I just pay. It was really a good investment and now she can help defend herself. I wish she never has to use it, but my life is unpredictable and unfortunately Caitlin is dragged into that danger.

"She's not there." I heard Caitlin screamed from the upper landing. Where the hell was she then?

Suddenly a piercing cry broke out. "Kiara! Kiara, Anastasia is awake! Kiara!" I yelled but no response.

I checked the couch, checked the garden, the fucking cupboards under the stairs. Anastasia still screamed, so I gave up my search and rushed upstairs. She couldn't be in the house, if she had, then she would have ran upstairs when she heard Anastasia.

The door was shut, which was strange, but nevertheless I opened it. It was dark, hardly any light coming in, and Anastasia was standing up in the crib, her hands on either side of the bars as she screamed.

Her cheeks were flames, eyes red and puffy, and she seemed exhausted. "Hi bunny," I picked her up and cradled her in my arms.

Gently rubbing her back, I waited until her cries turned into small hiccups, before lifting her up on my hip. "Stasia, where's mama?"

"Mama gone." My anxiety flared as she placed her head on my shoulder. No, no, she wouldn't have left me. Not like this, not again, not everything and definitely not without Anastasia.

Take a breath. Inhaling deeply, I forced aside any insecurities and centred my mind.

Think, Aaron. Fucking think.

The doormat when I walked in had a mud streak over it. That wasn't there this morning before we left and Kiara would have removed her shoes if they were that muddy. She hated dirt.

The pram wasn't in the hallway so it was still in the car. She moves it after she puts Anastasia down, not before, meaning that whatever happened, happened when she walked in.