Chapter |11| First Steps

Rolling up the familiar slanted driveway, I stared at the large brick house that stood before me, almost haunting, and filled with an array of painful memories mixed in with flickers of happiness and joy

I once lived here, in this five bedroom house with family living room, huge widespread garden and even roses bedded in the moist soil.

To a stranger, they would never suspect such a dangerous and horrible monster lurks in the shadows, such a man would live in such a beautiful place.

Some days, I wondered what it would be like to live here. Children running across the yard, screaming with joy, as Aaron chased them or the sprinklers accidentally turned on.

He'd crushed that dream, just as he had the strong emitting love I harboured for him.

"Mama," Anastasia whined, struggling against the confines of her car seat.

It had taken a lot to convince my father that this little visit was safe. He was worried that Aaron would kidnap the two of us, or hurt us in some way. I knew Aaron would never go that far. Deep down, I knew.

Alessi had been less willing but once I explained this was merely a civil visit for both Aaron and Anastasia to get to know one another, he seemed a little more at ease with it.

My brothers fought over who should drive me, annoying and painful to watch, until eventually I took the keys and drive myself. I didn't need an escort.

Sighing, I took the keys out of the ignition, and climbed out the large grey Land Rover Kieron had just purchased. I grabbed Stasia from the back, swinging her onto my left hip, whilst simultaneously juggling her changing bag.

It was Louis Vuitton, and surprisingly my dad was the one who bought it for me.

He said, and I quote, "No granddaughter of mine would be walking around with a bright yellow changing bag with a duck plastered onto it."

"Come on baby, mama's got you." She babbled incoherently, letting drool drip all over my loose fitting jumper.

As I walked up the three single stairs that led up to my version of hell, I exhaled a deep breath, before knocking the on the door. The lights in the hallway flicked on and then hurried footsteps rushed to the door.

They were so quick, so nimble, I knew they had to be anyone but Aaron.

"Kiara!" Caitlin bellowed, practically launching herself at me. Laughing, I wrapped an arm around her, and pulling her into a hug.

"Did you miss me?" She pulled back, pouting through her tangle of wild unruly dark locks that hung down her back.

"Yes of course but...you left me Kiara." Me, not Aaron. When I left, Caitlin did flash in my mind. Her giggles, her smiles, the warmth that blossomed inside my heart whenever she cuddled up to me.