Chapter |16| Demons

Holy shit

Holy shit. I stood there, staring bug eyed and gaping at Alessi. My boyfriend for less than a year that was currently on his knees holding a gorgeous ring in his hands.

His large grin softened. "Well, what do you say? Ready to make an honest man out of me."

I glanced around nervously, seeking for help. All I gained was sympathetic glances from my family and friends, and looks of adoration from the many strangers that surrounded me.

Because of course, when someone proposes, everyone expects the answer to be yes. If you say no, you're instantly the biggest bitch on the planet, no matter the reasoning behind it.

Shit, I really was a bitch.

Whilst busy getting my heart broken, I didn't even realise that I was slowly crushing Alessi's in the process. I was planning to break up with him after the wedding, knowing it would be extremely uncomfortable for all of us if he had to still stay at the house even after I dumped him.

I couldn't even fault the man. He was perfect in every way, and any girl would kill to be this man's wife but...it wouldn't be right. It wouldn't feel right to say yes to anyone except Aaron.

Oh fuck, Aaron. I frantically searched the crowd until my eyes met his. Locked in our gaze, my nervousness broke a little, softening at the familiar blue of his alluring eyes.

Then, I saw the pain, anguish, the fear. He was afraid of losing me, and I could see the regret inside of him. I could see the sorry.

Turning back to Alessi, I smiled and gently reached for his hand. "Can we talk somewhere private?" The crowd burst into rumoured gasps and he nodded, confused. Taking my hand, I led him off the dance floor and into the house.

The subtle melody of the violins could be heard as I shut my bedroom door, and I sighed, hoping everyone would quickly forget the proposal.

"What's wrong?" There was a light smile in his voice but one look at my face at it disappeared. "You're saying no, aren't you?"

"Of course I'm saying no Alessi, we've not even been together for a year." He crossed the room and grabbed onto my hands in a plea of desperation.

"But when you know, you know right? And I know, I feel it in my bones. I know that you're the woman I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with."

"But what if I'm not?" Sighing, I slowly detached my hands from his. "Alessi, why didn't you ask for my father's permission? You're one of the most traditional men I know and if you were sure about this, if you knew that it was the right thing, then you would have asked me."