Chapter |44| A. D. R

"You want to read that one?" I listened intently as Anastasia spoke the next three lines of the book

"You want to read that one?" I listened intently as Anastasia spoke the next three lines of the book. She yawned heavily, burrowing into my chest with sleepily eyes.

I finished the rest of the book off, before placing her down into the bed. As I turned to move away, she latched onto my hand, squeezing it so incredibly tight.

Sometimes it feels she can still sense the disconnection after what happened with Mikhail months ago. She sleeps in our bed, crying if we attempt to move her, clinging onto Aaron and I like we were bound to vanish at any moment.

I glanced at the clock. It was eight, yet already night had fallen upon us like a thick blanket drowning out the light.

I heard the door open and shut from downstairs. A flood of heavy footsteps rushing up to see us. I pressed my finger to my lips as Caitlin barrelled in.

She gently hugged me from the side before telling me all about her karate club.

"I'm glad you had fun, but you need a showe now. You're all sweaty and you stink."

"Do not." We stared each other. She has become an adequate opponent to my stubbornness, her impulsive loud nature mirroring mine, but I always won in the end.

"Uh, fine." She sighed, giving up.

"And then bed." I called after her.

Aaron smiled at me, stripping off his jacket immediately but not before I could miss the splatter of blood on the pocket. "What happened?"

To our surprise, any partners or affiliated associates with the Russian mafia took Mikhail's death with subtle relief and satisfaction. They wanted him gone too, but that didn't mean they didn't want something in return.

It cost five million ruble in exchange for amicable peace between the mafias. My father settled it weeks ago, but some of Mikhail's men still remained alive and were seeking revenge.

Aaron and Tristan had made it a mission to track down and kill every last one of them. Especially after one of them attempted to cut Mia's throat outside her apartment complex.

"We got the last one. It was...a little more difficult than anticipated but we managed to finish the job." He moves around the room effortlessly stripping off his clothes. "Your father called today, he should be back tomorrow with Kieron."

"Did he say how it went? Are they accepting the deal?"

"Yes with a few altercations. We had to give up major product, almost ten million dollars worth and then our territory in Eastern Europe."

"You said we?" I struggle to fight my smile.

"I meant it. Your family is my family, soon it'll be official." He grabbed my hand, brushing his lips against the diamond ring that sat on my finger once again. "I'm getting in the shower, then I'm giving you a real kiss."