Chapter |12| Lies

An hour later, Caitlin had rushed down, still donning her flowery pink pyjamas, and wide awake, much to Aaron's dismay

An hour later, Caitlin had rushed down, still donning her flowery pink pyjamas, and wide awake, much to Aaron's dismay. I told him school doesn't matter much when you've just found out you have a niece, and managed to persuade him to let her stay up until we leave.

"You don't eat her silly," Caitlin chided, frowning as she pulled her wet drool covered barbie doll from Stasia. I knew what would happen next.

A loud blaring sound filled the room, my motherly instincts went straight, brain hardwired to react instantly whenever my baby cried.

Caitlin jolted back in shock, glanced down at her doll and murmured a quick goodbye, before thrusting it towards Anastasia. The tears magically vanished, and she grinned, happily shoving the doll into her mouth again.

I laughed, only to find Aaron doing the same. We glanced at one another, and I shot him a small smile. Hope flared inside me when he returned it.

"Is she upset?" He nodded towards Anastasia, who was furiously rubbing at her eyes. My chest filled with warmth as his eyes were wide with concern.

"No, just tired probably. It's late for her, she's normally sleeping."

"Bunnee, buneee." She whined, dropping the doll so she could unleash the power of her scream. I cringed, Caitlin slammed her hands over her ears, but Aaron leapt into action, swooping her up and cradling her against his chest.

He looked like giant holding her, his large statue engulfing her body. If there's one thing I could say about Aaron Black, it's that he always gave the best hugs. Just tight enough, just warm enough and safe too.

Her screams turned to quiet whispers, still murmuring her same demand. I dove my hand into the baby bag to find it.

"What's she looking for?" Aaron demanded, clutching her a little tighter.

"Her bunny," Once I felt that familiar soft fluff, I yanked it out and quickly passed it to my weeping girl. I smoothed down her unruly curls, then looked up on instinct.

I didn't realise how close we are. Our bodies practically pressed against each other's, his musky masculine scent filling up my nostrils, our eyes stuck in their stares, shimmering haunting blue, boring into plain old brown.

In that moment, I felt a zing. You know, that electrified spark that rushes through your veins, filling you with wide eyed curiosity, hope and excitement. The kind of zing that just makes you know that this was right.

"You should go." He suddenly grunts out. Snapping out of my stupor, I step back. "I just mean, she's tired now. I wouldn't want to disrupt her sleep schedule, and Caitlin needs to sleep...we can do this again. Tomorrow maybe?"

"How about Thursday? I think every day will be a much for her, and we're taking this step by step so let's do this twice a week." He just stared unwaveringly, forcing me to arch my brow. "Is that okay?"