Chapter |34| Choices

Silence ensured

Silence ensured. Painful meaningless silence.

Aaron drove us down the bustling streets, naturally with a calmness I didn't know how he could maintain. I felt my body serve with each other bend, my mind remembering each dip and curve of the road from my days of visiting Aaron in the hospital.

It felt like so long ago that I believed we were almost free. How stupid of me to even think that? Being free was a loose verb. It was filled with trickery and double meanings to lure you into some false hope of security, on to realise being free of one thing, doesn't mean you're free of being shackled forever.

Mikhail was one chain that needed to broken, but I knew that there would countless others that would want to kill us, harm us, inflict torture and pain. There was never an escape.

"He'll be fine." Aaron's large hand clasped over mine, squeezing it tightly for reassurance. That familiar warmth crept over me, but it lacked the stability hope I usually felt.

I couldn't forget the doubts I had before all this. The fight, what happened in the closet..,god, was I really going to fuck whilst my dad was getting shot?

"Ryder is strong and determined. On the phone they said the bullet was in his chest."

"Aiming for his heart." I murmured, staring into a faint abyss. I managed to tear my eyes away from dusk breaking out over the horizon. "He's shot in the back...he could be paralysed. There is no end, is there?"

His eyes stared at me with unchanging stoicism. I turned away and rest my head against the window. Mum was with Kai and Kalen in their car. We chose to take another, not because of her heart breaking sobs, but because I couldn't handle the guilt.

Selfish. I know. Normally I tampered it down with alcohol, sex and weed. It always worked in high school to forget about Tristan. Even if it was just for a moment, I would do anything to feel that calm recollection of mind, where absolutely nothing matters.

"We're here." I glanced up at the towering building. We were. Once again, I would cross the boundary into a place where death is no stranger.

Taking my hand, he lead me inside, making his way up to floor 8 like he was the one who was passing these same walks every day for once, he was one struggling with bags, a toddler, a pram, he was one greeted by the same nurses who smiled at me with unrelenting pity.

It stung sharply. But it shouldn't.

"He's in surgery now. Your son is awake and taking in room 203. He was shot in the shoulder, a minor wound that it is easily treated. The police are here with some further questions...."

Kai dealt with that, Aaron followed to help. Kalen sat besides me as our mother rushed to see Kieron. I wanted to see him too, Kieron was the strong determined one that never showed any hurt. He was always the one to help me up, give me his shoulder to cry on and tell me the blunt truth.