The Apprentice {1}

A/N

Thank you for all being so patient while I wrote this. I did finish it today and I thought I'd make it a little longer than usual as a way of saying thanks for waiting.

I can do this. I've done this before, it's really not that difficult. And why should it be difficult? It's normal to do this and it is only awkward if I make it awkward. And that is something I wasn't going to do. Just don't overthink it. Don't overthink it.

Pacing around in front of Granny's diner, I muttered quietly to myself for a few minutes longer before I plucked up the courage and walked straight to the back of the diner where a certain pirate in leather was playing darts.

Hearing the footsteps from behind him, Killian turned around to face me, a look of confusion on his face.

"Snow Queen turn up? Did I miss the search party?" Killian asked.

"What? Oh, nothing to miss. There's no sign of that ice bitch anywhere," I assured him.

"Ice witch," Killian corrected.

"Yeah, that's what I said," I brushed off the comment, noticing the small smirk playing on his lips.

"Well, you shouldn't worry about her so much. We're going to find her," Killian said.

"Yeah, I know but, um... that's not actually why I am here," I told him.

"Then why are you here?" Killian asked, the confusion returning to his face.

"Well, I thought about everything you said last night about being a survivor and all that and well, you were right," I said.

"It's like I said, love, you don't have to worry about me," Killian assured me, turning back to the dart board.

"Good. Cause I'm here to ask you out—," I blurted out, causing Killian's dart to completely miss the board, and instead hit the teal wall before dropping to the ground. "—to dinner or something. With everything that has been going on, I need a distraction and you, my dear, are the best distraction that I could think of."

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you out?" Killian responded, his eyebrows furrowed as he looked over at me.

"I should've realised you'd still be old fashioned, given your age and lack of time in the modern world," I muttered.

"Woah, woah, woah, love. You can't talk. How old are you 300?" Killian smirked.

"I'm offended you don't know that," I commented dryly.

"Look, curses and Neverland may have given me more experience than your modern men, but as you can see, I've retained my youthful glow," Killian smiled. "Just like you." I scoffed at his comment. "I happily accept on one condition, you let me plan the evening."

"I know how to plan a date!" I defended.

"You know how to do magic and chase monsters. I know how to plan an evening out," Killian said.

"Yeah, I remember. Killian from the Time Portal had such a good evening—" I began but stopped when Killian took a step closer to me, raising his hand to my cheek.

"That was nothing compared to what I have planned," Killian assured me. "And anyway, that wasn't a real date."

"Well, just to make things clear, I don't pillage and plunder on first dates. Save that for the fifth date," I told him.

"I'm sure I can make you change your mind," Killian smirked.

"I'd like to see you try," I replied.