Muffins & Mates

Jewel's POV

~~~~~

A knocking sounded at my door waking me up from my dream like state. Groggily I got up and opened the door. "Yes?" I asked my eyes still half way closed.

"Oh, did I wake you your highness? I'm terribly sorry!" My eyes opened and I was now fully awake.

"No no! Don't apologize, I was just getting up. Did you need something?" I asked kindly. The man in front of me looked to be in his late fifties. He smiled.

"Yes, I was just fetching you for breakfast, sadly both your parents already ate and had to leave to sort out a disagreement a few territories over. They will be back later this evening to spend the day with you and the prince."

"Oh, okay. Thank you. I'll be down in a few minutes." He bowed and then left. After quickly getting changed into a nice little sun dress and braiding my hair I made my way down to the kitchen. Different smells appealed to my senses as I grew closer to the kitchen. When I entered I saw Maggie cooking on the stovetop.

"Good morning Maggie." I smiled and sat at the breakfast bar.

"Morning Jewel! What would you like to eat?"

"Something light, I think I'll go out for a run in a bit." She smiled and walked to one of the many ovens. Putting on mittens she opened it and pulled out a pan with freshly made muffins. "Ooo! That smells good, what's in it?"

"This is our famous blueberry muffins with a special topping." The muffin was twice the size of a normal one and the top had a golden brown sugary coating. Carefully grabbing a warm muffin I slowly took a bite.

"Hmm." I moaned while nodding my head. Swallowing I looked to Maggie. "This is so good! Will you teach me how to make this one day?" She laughed.

"Sure hun, finishing eating your breakfast and then go enjoy your day!" I did as I was told. I hungrily scarfed down the large muffin and headed towards one of the back doors. As I walked out the cool breeze hit me making my dress fly up a bit. With a yelp I pushed it down and held it there. Smelling the sweet air I closed my eyes.

Newly bloomed flowers and the freshly cut grass was all I could smell. Heading towards the trees I heard the back door open. "Jewel!" I turned around to the big man named Dragon. "Where are you going?" He asked making his way towards me.

"Well, I figured I'd go out for a run. Am I not allowed to?" I asked hoping I wasn't getting in trouble. He frowned.

"What? No, of course you can go running but you need to tell someone first in case anything happens so that we know where you were last. It would probably be best to ask someone to go with you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I'm just going to stick to the inside of the tree lines, I won't go any further than that."

"Okay but don't stray. I'm heading to the old castle and will be back in a few days, if you need anything Julian is here as well as Samuel." He turned to leave.

"Wait, who's Samuel?"

"He's the one who will be training you, I think you start tomorrow. Got to go kid, be safe!"

"Bye." I called out. I made my way into the tree line and quickly undressed. I folded my dress and slipped my shoes off. Making sure no one was around I began to run, once I got to a good speed I let the animal inside take over as I shifted flawlessly in mid run. Like I told Dragon I stuck to the inside of the tree line.

I never knew our territory was so big but I was happy it was. Every muscle of mine stretched as far as it could as I ran faster. As I ran I began to get lost in my thoughts. I have so much to learn. Where would we start? And mom wants to throw a celebration? To top off all that stress I'm going to be trained by someone I've never met. What if he's mean? No, dad wouldn't hire some he couldn't trust.