Reunited & Gifted

As I stood in the shadows of the busy village my mind pondered on mine and Dragon's conversation from last night. I had studied him this morning during breakfast. He looked to be in his forties but that couldn't be right. He taught my father when he was just a boy so he has to be much older than that, but how old? He didn't look as old as granddad but he said he guarded the old castle with the first king and queen.

How was it possible? Unless he lied. My mind wondered. He wouldn't lie about this though, would he? At the moment Dragon and I were at the total opposite sides of the village so our mind link was the only way of communication. Dragon didn't think using phones were smart since anyone could overhear our conversations or patch in through the phone's text records.

'Dragon.' I linked him.

'What? Do you have a visual on Mike?' He asked.

'No, not yet. I'm just curious. How ol-'

'I stopped counting after five hundred.' Came his blunt reply.

'But how is-'

'-it even possible?' He finished my question. 'You know how some wolves are gifted?'

'Yes.'

'Well, some wolves are also cursed.'

'Care to expla-target is sighted!' The same man from all the data and pictures we've collected came riding in on a horse while a girl sat behind him.

'Are you sure it's Mike?' Dragon asked.

'I'm positive. Better news, A girl is with him.'

'Okay keep an eye on them. Don't approach them and don't draw attention to yourself. Stay in the shadows. Oh and kid?'

'Yeah?'

'Don't get your hopes up, it might not be her.' Hearing the doubt in his voice stirred something inside causing me to move out of the shadows. Dragon must have felt my tension growing through the link. 'Julian don't draw attention!' He repeated.

I didn't move again but I watched as Mike slowed the horse and jumped down. The girl followed his action and jumped down too. Her chocolate hair flew wildly when the wind caught it. Her scent hit me and though I'd never smelt it before I knew it was her. That was my sister. The animal inside called out. His howl pierced my ears but no audible sound was actually heard. I watched the village people. None of them heard it, but when my eyes landed on the girl I froze.

Bright blue eyes stared at me. Her eyebrows were pulled together in what looked like confusion. She must have heard my wolf calling to her. "Jewel." I whisper. Her eyes widened and then looked at her surroundings in fright. Realizing my mistake I quickly stepped back into the shadows and searched for Mike. Through a shop window I spotted him talking with the worker. Sighing I relaxed. He didn't see or hear me.

My focus went back to Jewel. She looked around but couldn't spot me. Lifting her nose a bit she sniffed the air then looked straight at me. The same confused expression was written upon her face. She could smell me but couldn't make out my exact location. Mike came out of the shop and spoke something to her. Quickly I cut my scent off.

'Dragon, it's Jewel. She has mom's hair and dad's eyes. It's her and she saw me. She knows we're here.'

'Julian, I told you we were not suppose to be seen. We have to find out what Mike is up too.'

'Mike didn't see me. We are safe.'

'But if the girl saw you she could say something to Mike. Remember, for all we know she thinks he's her father.'