Old Romances & Second Chances

'Because that's what mates do.' He said causing my heart to stop. Mates? My mate is dead. Alexander is dead and this glorious beast isn't Alex. Wait, glorious? The animal inside began to stir. A longing for this man began to grow. I wanted to be close to him, I wanted to know him, yet I wanted to run away.

'I don't understand.' Was all I could come up with. My mind was racing, my thoughts jumbled. I backed up causing him to slowly step forward.

'What's wrong princess?' He asked. All of his teasing was gone and replaced with worry. 'Did I scare you?' His voice lowered an octave. My heart softened.

'No, of course not. It's just-" before I could say anything a sandy brown rogue came running through and tackled me, causing a loud yelp to escape. His teeth sank into my side. I howled in pain. Before he could do anymore damage the dark wolf attacked. Ripping the wolf off me he threw him to the ground. The sandy wolf growled and stood with its hair raised. He ran at us with the howl of a warrior. The wolf who stood protecting me stood tall and calculated every step.

As the wolf leaped the dark one moved to the side. As the rugged wolf skidded to a stop he turned back around and charged again. Waiting for the right moment the black wolf leaped. With one fatal blow to the neck the sandy wolf went down. His throat was mangled and it took hardly any effort from this gigantic wolf. 'You're hurt. We need to get you home. It's not safe here. Where do you live?' He asked.

Then I realized it. He didn't know who I was. He had called me princess before but it was only an endearment. He didn't know I was actually the princess, his future queen. A pain in my side pulled me out of my thoughts. Looking to my side I saw the matted fur. The wound was slowly healing but it was dirty and needed to be cleaned.

'Princess?' He called again. My heart leaped. I was a princess to him. I inwardly smiled. I looked back in the direction of the castle.

'I live in the castle.'

'The castle? With the royals?' He asked. I nodded. 'Okay, come on. We need to get you taken care of.' His nose lightly nudged my shoulder motioning to follow him. We trotted slowly due to my side throbbing in pain. I embarrassed myself a few times when I became too enthralled watching the great wolf move so smoothly throughout the trees and limbs and stumbled over my own paw.

As we approached the clearing of the castle a young doctor came racing out with a robe in his hands. "Shift and we'll take a look at that leg and side of yours." I took the robe with my mouth and made my way back to the tree line to give myself some privacy. When I shifted I cried out in pain. Everything hurt when the transformation happened but it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought.

The flesh on my side was torn and ripped but it didn't seem too bad. My leg was practically healed except for a gash that looked to have something stuck in it. Quickly I wrapped the robe around my naked body and tied it tightly. Running my fingers through my hair I prayed it didn't look too bad.

I headed back out to the clearing. The black wolf was gone but the doctor was still there. "Where did he go?" I asked. The doctor smiled and motioned me to follow him inside. I did as I was told. We walked into the castle and began to make our way to the infirmary.

"Your mate is the biggest wolf I've ever seen." The young doctor spoke. I smiled. "When you walked off to change he threatened me!" He chuckled. This made me frown.

"He threatened you?" I asked.

"Yeah, he warned me not to touch you unless necessary." The doctor chuckled and shook his head.

"I'll beat that man." I said disapprovingly. The doctor laughed harder.

"Don't worry, nearly every male threatens me when it come to his mate. I'm use to it. I'm sure I'll do the same when I find mine. How long have you two been together?" His question made me frown.

Submitting To Herजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें