The Library & The book

Julian's POV
~~~~~

As I entered the library I sighed. For some reason my mother wanted to talk in here. The walk throughout the castle was silent. She never talked so I assumed she was taking me to the library for a specific reason and didn't want anyone to hear our conversation. As I heard her close the doors I turned around to face her and sighed.

"I know what you're going to say-"

"I'm so sorry Julian." She sighed and gave me a hug. This surprised me. I definitely wasn't expecting an apology. I hugged her back and slowly released my hold.

"Sorry for what?" I asked. She had watery eyes.

"I see the pain and the loneliness son. I know the anger and disappointment you feel. Jewel has received a new mate and you haven't found yours." I sighed and sat down on the long decorative couch.

"Mom I don't want to talk about this."

"Julian, you don't need to keep it in, it's unhealthy." She spoke softly.

"I'm fine mom, not having a mate doesn't bother me at all." I said leaning back carelessly. She and I both knew how big of a lie that was. I was aching to find my mate. I wanted someone to love and care for, to protect and cherish with all my being, and it hurt that I couldn't find my other half when my sister already found hers.

"We both know that's not true baby." She sighed as she sat down beside me. "When the time is right you'll find her but for as of now you need to focus on preparing yourself for the kingdom and your duties as the future leader.

"You're right. I'll find my mate when God allows it. I really need to figure this whole Mike thing out and focus on helping dad and you with the kingdom." I paused and turned more towards her. "Why here? Why did you lead me to the library? There's a reason for it isn't there?" I asked. She slowly nodded.

"You're very observant Julian." She stood up and turned away from me. "Look around you. What do you see?" I did as I was asked and looked about the room.

"A hundred different shelves each holding a hundred different books. What does this have to do with anything?" I asked sitting up a bit straighter.

"Trust me, I know where I'm going with this. Now in this section of shelves what do these books contain?" I looked over to the section.

"Anything that has to do with territories and laws." I stated dryly.

"And this section?"

"Contracts of the kingdom and peace treaties between packs. Mom I don't understand-"

"And how about this section." She pointed to a small podium which held two books. Curious I stood up and walked to the podium. One book was dusty yet looked fairly modern. Metal vines wrapped around it keeping it closed tightly.

"That's the history of gifts." I said knowingly. I had read it once in my early years of study. I looked to the other book. Odd markings and swirls covered it. This one wasn't locked though. "What's this one?" I asked making sure not to touch it. It was old and worn looking.

"That is the part two of the history of gifts." My face contorted into one of confusion.

"I've never seen it before, I've never even heard of it. Where did you get it?" I asked looking to her.

"It's been with the royal family for centuries." She picked up the book and studied the cover. "Yet no one knows what's inside." My eyes widened in surprise.

"Wait, if no one knows what's inside then how do we know it's part two of the history of gifts? And why hasn't anyone opened it up and read it?"

"Well no one is certain that it's part two, they just assumed since it was found with the History of Gifts so many years ago. These books are so old that nearly all their history is forgotten." She paused and sighed. " As for why no one know what's inside is another story. This book is why I lead you here. There's an old tale that goes along with this book, the last of its history remembered." She carefully laid the book back down on the podium.