23. Old Tricks

That same night, after Olga had stopped asking her questions, Jonna lay in bed, staring at the ceiling.

She couldn't get the image out of her head: Laney with someone else, looking so happy. It wasn't so long ago that Jonna had that privilege, being with Laney, making her happy. And it had been a privilege, one she'd taken for granted.

To her, that still did not explain why Laney would not at least text her back. Ghosting her and moving on was cruel.

Dear God, is this how Shane feels?

Jonna groaned into a pillow, horrified that she had anything in common with her ex. Like an obsession with someone who obviously didn't want her anymore.

The thought sparked an idea. Like all late night ideas born of humiliation, it was terrible.

~*~

Jonna sat in the car, staring at the steering wheel.

The wind howled outside, sending leaves spiraling onto her windshield.

It was a bad night for going out. Being 11pm, it was an even less ideal time of night to go out. But it was all Jonna could think to do. If she went out to a bar, chatted someone up, she could forget about how stupid she'd been with Laney.

Key in hand, she froze.

What am I doing?

Though the idea had seemed sound minutes ago while she'd jumped into a pair of jeans, the futility of it struck her hard.

Jonna sighed, collected her purse, and reached for the door handle.

Then, like a beacon of hope on the passenger seat, her phone lit up.

She was sure it was a message from Laney. After reading it, she sighed again.

The message was from Zachary.

As Jonna quietly re-entered the apartment and settled into her bed, she realized that the message had potential.

-Hey. You up?

~*~

- Always. What are you wearing?

Jonna typed the reply, re-read it, then deleted it. She thought about starting over, then hit the call button instead.

The phone rang three times. Jonna checked the phone, as if it were broken.

On the fifth ring, Zachary answered.

"Hello?"

"Of course I'm awake."

Zachary chuckled. "Of course," he agreed, as if it were obvious. Then he paused, asking rather predictably, "Why are you still awake?"

Jonna stretched her arms, her undershirt moving with her to reveal her stomach. She debated on how honest she should be with a serial liar like Zachary. She felt silly for calling him, but at the same time, lonely. Did he need to know all of that? No.

He was hot, he was around (sort of), and that's what mattered.

So she shared a version of the truth: "I'm lonely. Can't sleep."

"Is that so?" His tone had picked up the silky, yet rough edge that she recognized as his horny voice.

"Yeah, I planned on masturbating." The playfulness dissipated, leaving heavy silence. She allowed it to linger before asking, "Wanna help?"

~*~

Being not-of-the-idiot variety, Zachary agreed to help.

And he was most gracious. He huskily described all of the things he would do to her if he were there.

When Jonna asked if he she could listen to him touch himself, he obliged. While she liked to listen and imagine what was happening, she had no desire to actually see it. Not understanding this, Zachary asked her if she wanted a picture. She suppressed a sigh, and told him of course she did. When her phone chimed, she ignored it.

Jonna also ignored the implication that she would then send a photo to him. Instead, she focused on Zachary's baritone voice. He was describing a myriad of sexual situations, some of which they had actually tried in person.

Finally, his words and her hand pushed Jonna into the land of sweet, sweet release. The phone had been sandwiched in between her ear and her shoulder. As she drifted, nearly nodding off to sleep, Zachary ruined it.

"----back 'cause we're separated."

Jonna snapped back from her post-coital relaxation. Wiping her hands, she readjusted the phone to hear better. "What'd you say?"

Zachary laughed. "Yeah, knew I lost you there. Must've been good."

"You did help, so thanks. Now, what were you saying before?

She heard him suck in a deep breath. "I was saying how I moved back here because my wife and I----we separated."

Jonna raised her brows. She was unsure of how to respond. In fact, she was annoyed the subject had been broached at all, especially after she had just orgasmed.

"I, uh, wow."

"Look, can I come over?"

He had taken her lackluster answer as though she were really interested. Which only annoyed her more. Then she relaxed somewhat, realizing that she had not been transparent.

"We're just having fun. At least, that's what it is for me. I'm happy that you are figuring things out for yourself, but I'm not ready for anything serious right now."

Jonna left out the part about how awkward it would be to invite him over to her brother's apartment. It was 12:30am and she would have to sneak him in. Not because her brother would mind, but because she wouldn't want to have to answer any questions the next day.

"Oh okay. Sounds good." His disappointment was barely masked by the words. "Lemme know if you change your mind."

"Nite."

She hung up wondering how many times she would have to reject him before he got the hint.

Then again, Shane still hadn't gotten the hint.

And if I'm being honest with myself, I haven't gotten the hint about Laney.