10. Damn Dirty Liars

She spun around, eyes wide.

No one.

Jonna balanced on one leg, risking a peek down the street.

Still no one.

"Hello?" Shane's tiny voice carried up from the ground.

She bent to retrieve the busted tech, a groan escaping her lips as she assessed the damage. The entire screen was shattered, a haphazard stack of jagged lines blocking out any basic capabilities. Like hanging up on people.

"You still there?"

She repeatedly smashed her finger on END CALL until it successfully hung up.

Swearing, she stashed the phone in her purse before returning to the lobby. She spotted Zachary downing champagne with a colleague, whom he politely introduced her to. Jonna expected the guy to ask, "Why isn't your wife around?" No such query ever surfaced.

In fact, the entire night, none of Zachary's pals asked what Jonna was doing there, or why she was dressed like a student.

Damn, maybe they think I'm a student. Gross.

The thoughts gnawed at the back of her brain as she listened to a teacher complain about the constant syllabus question:

"Need to know the due dates? I don't even know them!" the woman tittered.

Jonna nodded, swigging enough champagne for two in one gulp. "Yeah, I can relate."

"You're a..." the woman searched her vocab, "...teacher?"

Jonna tilted her head at Zachary. "Sure am."

He cleared his throat. "Lovely talking with you, Amy, but we're gonna head out now."

"We are?"

Without explanation, Zachary strode for the exit, bidding friends a good night along the way. Jonna followed, more than a tad grateful, and more than a tad ready for what she hoped would finally culminate in satisfaction.

She wasted no time in finally escaping the fancy event. When the fresh night air lifted her hair and filled her lungs, she noticed Zachary leaning against the building.

"Hey," she said, creeping nearer on mainly even footing, "what's a guy like you doing waiting on a nerd gal like--"

But as soon as she was within kissing range, he raked her in for an open-mouth of a doozy. His hands wound through her hair as his tongue slid along the seam of her lips, pushing into her mouth.

After some of the best kissing she'd ever experienced, they surfaced for air, briefly, before blasting off again, and then breaking once more.

Zachary cradled her head, his breath labored. "You ready to, uh--?"

Jonna nodded. "Hell yes."

They couldn't reach the hotel room fast enough.