16. Tech...What Is It Good For?

"What's up?" Jonna tried to sound normal as Laney tickled her sides.

"Duuuuude," Jayden sounded out of breath.

She imagined the second worst scenario, which was that he had seen a video clip of last night online and was disowned her.

"Yes?"

She waved Laney away with a smile, standing up to escape.

Laney growled and flopped back onto a pillow.

"Shane needs to be reined in," Jayden said.

"Huh?" The conversation was headed to a more complex space than she had anticipated, and so she checked around for clothes, discovering piles in different corners of the room.

"You need to look at your social media," Jayden said.

"Oh Lord." She balanced the phone on her shoulder as she jumped into her skirt.

"Check it right now, and let me know when I can go kick his ass," he said before hanging up.

"What a drama queen," she muttered, even though she knew it had to be pretty bad.

Part of her was relieved that her worst case scenario had not come true and that all she had to contend with was her unbalanced ex.

"Anything the matter?" Laney asked, sprawled on the sheets.

Jonna fumbled into her top. "I'll uh, call you."

"You can't leave until this," Laney hopped off the bed and followed her to the door.

"This---?"

The rest of her question was swallowed into Laney's mouth. The girl cupped her face as her tongue delved deep, promising so much. Passion coursed through her, and she caressed everywhere she could reach: shoulders, arms, breasts, the hands holding her face. Briefly, Jonna forgot about her brother, her ex, and the shit ton of work aging on her desk.

A demanding phone dashed the intensity of the moment. She broke off from Laney, promising to call, and actually meaning it.

"If you don't call," Laney said, "then thanks for another fun time."

Her voice betrayed a slight vulnerability, the first Jonna had suspected. Instantly, her appreciation for Laney doubled, and she leaned in for one more kiss.

"I will call," and she left before the beautiful eyes could convince her to stay.

Outside, she waited for an Uber, and was finally able to swipe at Shane's messages and see part of the craziness for herself:

I know what you been doing and who you've been doing.

Answer me, god dammit, or I will blast everything online.

But she had been too busy with Laney to answer him. She was almost afraid to check the damage, but forced herself to open the social media apps. The majority of them featured zero chatter about her or Shane, but one of them boasted what amounted to an open letter from him:

To the traitorous bitch I once called wife,

I'm sorry I gave you everything you ever wanted.

I'm sorry for not fucking you hard enough, or long enough.

I'm sorry for the nights you begged for it, and I went out to the strip club instead.

I'm sorry I ever fucked you.

I'm sorry you're a slut.

I'm sorry you broke our marriage vows.

I'm sorry you're confused, and a hell of a liar.

I'm not sorry that I'm about to make YOU sorry.

-The best man you'll never have again

Shane's post displayed a few likes, and several comments.

-What happened, dude?

-Jonna cheated?

-I didn't even know you guys broke up!

Other comments hailed her as a piece of scum, a marriage wrecker, and a heinous bitch. Not one person asked for her side, or called out Shane on his shit.

An Uber alert eclipsed her screen, and she put the phone away. As she climbed into the taxi, one thought consumed her:

What the fuck?

The brick in her purse buzzed once, twice. She watched the blur of the buildings, listening to the even tones of the NPR anchor on the car radio.

Not gonna pick up that phone.

Buzz.

Nope.

She stared at the bag.

Buzz.

"Oh, c'mon."

Digging through the receipts and lipgloss, she fished out the tech she was better off without. Still buzzing, this time with another phone call, but Shane's name wasn't flashing.

It was Zachary.

A/N- A break-up is never pretty, and a divorce is even less pretty

People who aim to dismantle others via social media fascinate me. The internet is a public forum, but is it the right forum to air personal vendettas?