20.2 One Big Party

Everything happened relatively quickly. For that, Jonna was grateful.

Shane asked Zachary who he was, and vice versa, until they were shouting at each other. Eventually, the manager of Sweet's Sweets shooed them outside, threatening to call the cops.

While the cacophony ensued, Jonna could only watch, horrified. Laney was likewise immobilized, mouth agape until the two men took their yelling match outside. Then, a switch lit her eyes, and she marched back to the table, grabbing her purse.

"Where you going?" Jonna weakly called after her.

On her way out of the door, Laney replied, "I thought you were done with all this."

"It's not like I asked them to show up," Jonna said, aware of how many people watched the summation of their romantic drama.

Laney stopped at the door, one foot in and one foot out. "Tell them both it's over."

Honey hair framing her slight face, she looked tired, and older. Jonna's gut twisted up, as she realized how much she had hurt her yet again.

"I told them already."

"Do it again," Laney said, "And make sure they understand."

With a chime, the front door closed. The faint voices of Shane and Zachary drifted from outside, and Jonna watched as Laney sidestepped their bickering.

She shook her head, unsure of her next move. Make them understand? How was she supposed to do that?

~*~

If honest with herself, Jonna could admit that unorthodox solution crossed her mind.

Maybe banging both Shane and Zachary at the same time would kill two birds with one stone: it would fulfill one of her ultimate fantasies, and it would get them both completely out of her system.

However, that pseudo-solution would only create more complications. Laney was pissed off, and rightly so. But, that didn't mean Jonna wouldn't think about it on occasion, in the shower.

Focus.

She was back at the apartment. Rather than confront both idiots, she had left them at the shop, choosing to slip out the back entrance unnoticed. Jonna figured it would be easier to deal with them once they cooled off, and on her terms.

For Zachary, Jonna had texted inviting him to, of all things, a coffee date to "talk." She hoped the casual quality of the venue would not be lost on him, as he wasn't stupid. The Sweets encounter notwithstanding...

As for Shane, dealing with him was a bit messier, and a lot more technical. It took her the better part of the night, clacking away on her laptop. At one point, Ola peered over her shoulder, tsking.

"Yo, you should've done this a long time ago," she said.

Her gum popped in Jonna's ear, and she cleared her throat. Before saying something mean, like mind your own business, she inhaled and exhaled. Annoying as she was, the girl had a point.

"Yeah, I probably should have," she said, squinting at the screen.

"Even still, I totally think it's unfair that Laney won't talk to you right now. She shouldn't put all this on you! She should be with you, supporting you."

Eyes wide, Jonna spotted a guilty-faced Jayden on the couch. He shrugged, biting into his bowl of noodles.

I'll kill you, she mouthed at her big-mouthed brother.

He grinned, folding his finger into a heart symbol and pointing at her.

Jonna gave in and cracked a smile. She could never stay mad at Jayden.

The next night, Jonna's phone vibrated on the nightstand. Since it was 1am, she fumbled in the dark room, cursing at whoever invented technology.

When she finally got ahold of the phone, she panicked. It read:

HILLSBOROUGH SHERIFF DEPT.

"Hello?" she croaked.

"Ms. Lopez?"

"This is she." She sat up, instantly and fully awake.

"I'm informing you that the sheriff's department has successfully served Shane Strenner with the domestic violence petition you submitted."

Her brain worked hard to catch up with what the woman said.

After long moments, she found her voice. "Thanks."

"Have a good night ma'am."

"You, too."

Though the information was supposed to reassure her, Jonna met with a fitful sleep. She kept wondering if a piece of paper would really keep Shane away.

Something told her it would only anger him, and that's the something that kept her awake.