13. Last Laney Night

They had arrived at a large campus, a sign on the lawn confirming the concrete building was Brooker Elementary School.

"Jesus titties, you're serious," Jonna said, taking deep breaths and righting her underwear.

She thought about slipping her shoes off, because heels made an awkward getaway even more awkward.

Laney patted her leg, exiting the cab. "Won't be that bad. And if you're a good girl, I'll finish you off later."

Jonna cleared her throat. "I'm not usually a good girl, but we'll see."

Laney beckoned, "C'mon, we don't wanna miss the opening speeches."

A few people milled outside the front doors, nodding at Laney, who pulled Jonna along like a lost puppy.

"You know them?" she asked.

"Fuck no," Laney replied.

They breezed by the entryway, going down wide corridors fashioned with posters and student projects. As her heels click-clacked ridiculously, Jonna thought,

What the hell is going on?

Laney stopped outside the doors of a large auditorium, turning to Jonna and addressing her solemnly.

"Whatever happens, stick with me, okay?"

"Sure...?"

Should be easy, as she had little idea of where they were and what they were doing. The sign outside the auditorium shined a small light on the goings-on, but not Laney's purpose:

The Write Awards: Student Stories and Poetry

Laney did claim to be a writer. Maybe she was a judge, or knew some of the teachers or kids involved. Many of Jonna's questions disappeared at the sight of tray after tray of food. She sampled what she could, being mindful to keep her crazy guide in sight.

Ah, my Kryptonite, she thought, sinking her teeth into the third spinach puff. She scanned the room, noting the casual atmosphere, and the mix of ten-year-olds and adults, way different than the last party she'd attended. The one thing that stayed the same was Laney, who was laughing with a dark-haired girl, and as Jonna snuck closer, she overheard her stress the art of characterization. The child pushed up her glasses and agreed, picking up the cue from Laney's pointed arm to wave at Jonna. She waved back.

Her companion led her around, introducing her to teachers, student nominees, and proud parents. With each stranger, Jonna was put at ease by Laney's easy demeanor, until she couldn't wait to move on to the next, excited to learn about someone else.

"And what was your story about?" she asked the latest nominee, a short boy with luminous dark eyes.

"An alternate future in flux with the quantum field invading the atmosphere," he said.

"Ah, but we're surrounded by quantum fields," Laney said, popping a friendly finger on his nose.

He squirmed, launching into an explanation of his quantum forces measured against everyday fields, and Jonna lost interest. Lucky for her, he was interrupted by the loudspeaker, a woman's voice promising to announce the contest winners in a few minutes. The room erupted in clapping and cheers, and Jonna joined in, juggling a plate of cookies in the crook of her arm. Laney plucked the plate from her, utilizing the proximity to deposit a slow kiss on the side of her mouth.

"Come on," she whispered.

Slightly dazed, Jonna accompanied Laney from the packed auditorium back into the hallway. She approached a trophy case, blue eyes glazing over in contemplation. Petite bronze statues decorated the glass shelves, spanning years of student accomplishments. Laney's focus leveled on the middle of the case, which boasted two decades of medals for "Best Story of the Year."

"Which year did you enter?"

"Never did," Laney said.

Deftly, she snapped off the metal latch at the bottom of the case, sliding open the doors.

"Part of the stealing, is it?" Jonna inquired, checking to see who would catch them, but the hall was empty, echoing with clapping and cheering from the auditorium.

"Just getting what's mine," Laney said, plucking a medal from one of the shelves. She grinned. "Now we can leave, so you can teach me...stuff."

She cupped Jonna's face, pulling her in for a slow, lingering kiss.

Though breathless, Jonna managed to say, "Yes, stuff."

"