11. A Little Unsteady

Things had gone like she imagined they would, and she'd been fucked, in two ways.

She had gotten what she wanted out of Zachary, and then discarded him. He had tried and she had refused the offer of casual friendship. After the sex, what else was there?

She took in the brisk air on her walk from the coffee shop. The cobblestone streets, old squat buildings, and the bustle of people... She could get used to a city like this, even if she wouldn't have to.

Her flight was scheduled to speed away back to Graydon in a couple of hours, and she hustled back to the hotel room to retrieve her stuff. Zachary hadn't contacted her, and she liked it that way.

As she climbed in the hotel elevator, her busted phone chimed for attention.

Student emails (or was it a text?), a message from Shana (or was it Shane?), and a message from...Zachary.

The phone clattered to the floor when she bumped into a stranger in the hallway.

"Just my luck," she said, reaching for the thing.

"If you want, you can get lucky real soon," a familiar voice drawled.

She stood up and was confronted with Zachary, smiling at her like he'd found someone special. How was he always sneaking up on her, or was she just that easy?

Jonna bit back a smile. "I'm leaving in about four hours. Just came back to get my bag. Don't have time for...other stuff." She brushed by him, amazed at how such minimal contact could inflame her.

Despite her words, he followed her to the room. "I was half-kidding. Really, I just want to see you, tell what a great time I had," he said, as she fumbled with the magnetic key card yet again.

He pressed himself against her, nibbling at her neck with small, sweeping kisses. Desire roared through her, and she knew where she wanted this to go. Somehow, she got the door open.

Without much thought, she turned and met his lips, wrapping her arms around him. From far away, she registered the click of the door closing.

Still kissing, they backed up to the edge of the bed. Zachary stopped touching her long enough to say,

"I really did just wanna talk."

Jonna nodded, her face flushed. "I get it, and it's sweet, but I don't have time for both."

"Both?"