18. Just Talking. No, Really. Just Talking.

The apartment was well-lit and lightly furnished.

"Nice place," Jonna remarked, noting the framed artwork and the place settings on the dining room table.

"Gotta love AirBnB," Zachary said, flipping on more lights as he led her to the kitchen.

Dinner plates waited, overflowing with grilled chicken, rice, and roasted vegetables.

Jonna popped a piece of cauliflower into her mouth. "You make all this?"

"Yeah," he said, also picking at the veggies, not sheepish in the slightest.

She marveled at his cavalier attitude, so inline with Laney's. While Jonna committed to plenty of stupid decisions, she did so behind a safeguard. She found it funny that be it a man or woman, she was most attracted to an open personality.

As though reading her mind, he immediately launched into an apology. "I think I stepped in it earlier by making light of your ex's crazy post, and I'm sorry."

'S'okay," she shrugged, wandering from the kitchen.

He had stepped in it, but she hadn't much cared, until he brought it up again. She suppressed the urge to leave entirely, pretending interest at the paintings adorning the wall.

"Is it, 'cause you're literally distancing yourself from me," he said, his voice fading as she made it to the living room.

She settled on couch, not sure why she'd met up with him in the first place. Then, she felt his touch, and melted. Ah, yes, that's why she'd come here.

Zachary nuzzled her neck, wrapping her in a warm embrace. "I wanna be close to you," he said, nibbling her ear.

"Hmm, and what else?" She turned to meet his mouth, but he stopped her.

"By 'close', I mean I wanna talk. Like we used to, about stupid shit. I wanna know you."

Jonna searched his face, finding nothing but caring and concern, but it wasn't anything she wanted. Not from him. Gently, she slid off the couch and stood, arms crossed over her chest.

"My divorce isn't even final. I'm not really looking for someone to know me," she said. Laney's mischievous smile flashed across her thoughts, but she went on, "You came here for one reason, same reason I flew out to see you. There's nothing wrong with it. We're too old to play pretend."

"Are you, have you," he searched for words, "been seeing someone else?"

A/N: Will Jonna finally utilized the power of self-reflection?! She's finally adulting, ever so slightly anyway

A/N: Will Jonna finally utilized the power of self-reflection?! She's finally adulting, ever so slightly anyway. Don't expect it to last, though...