20. One Big Party

Jonna typed quickly, checking the paper copies briefly before inputting more information on the laptop.

The hum of chatter and the clatter of dishes seeped through her earbuds, though it wasn't unpleasant. The cafe was preferable to Olga's incessant music. A few times a month, the girl went on cleaning tangents, blasting merengue music throughout the apartment. Another point against her. Everyone knew salsa was where it's at.

On occasion, Jonna escaped to the corner cafe, Sweet's Sweets. They served the flakiest croissants in town. She bit into the last piece, wiping her mouth with a cloth napkin.

As she did so, she noticed a tall, bald man wading near the front door. Jonna blinked, several times, trying to convince herself that her eyes worked. It couldn't be...

Then, the man turned her way, and they locked eyes.

Shit.

Jonna ducked her head, aware of how dumb it was to try hiding. Too late, anyway.

He'd seen her.

"Whew."

Laney plopped into the seat across from Jonna, one hand brushing across her face to dislodge an errant stand of hair from the side of her mouth. Even the simple action held its allure. Jonna imagined other things the long fingers were capable of...

Concentrate!

She forced herself to focus on Laney, who was speaking, her adorable face set in serious mode.

"...finally done with all the extra men in your life?"

The question nearly made Jonna giggle. She swiped a glance at the front door, and the man was only a few feet away, waving.

She thought of how funny it was that Laney was asking this particular question, at this particular moment. Really, it was hilarious.

"I uh..." Jonna, mouth suddenly dry, sipped her raspberry tea before answering. Over the rim of the glass, she watched the man stride closer to their table. "I'm not sure they're done with me."

The coallecing events had the makings for the perfect nightmare. The stack of upgraded essays suddenly seemed like the most inviting kind of torture.

Jonna stood abruptly. "I'm getting another tea." She held up the cup, realizing the liquid sloshed at more than the halfway mark. "I'm super thirsty," she added, downing a good portion of the tangy stuff.

Stealing Laney's opportunity to speak, Jonna hurried to the front counter.

"Oh-kay," came Laney's faint response.

In front of her, the lithe man waited. Without a word, she whisked past him, head high
Jonna side-eyed him, pleased to watch the smirk fade from his face. Still, the scent of crisp aftershave wafted from him. Warmth flooded between her thighs, despite the annoyance throbbing at her temple.

She hadn't been expecting to see Zachary ever again. That's the thought she had as she approached the order counter, fully aware that he hovered behind her.

A front door bell chimed, but Jonna barely noticed. She ordered another raspberry tea, ignoring the man she'd slept with.

"You can't even say hi?" he finally asked.

She spun to respond, and was shocked when Zachary's hand settled on her shoulder.

"I'm an idiot," he murmured, staring into her, past her.

"Who the hell is this asshole?" a voice sneered.

It was a tone and an anger that Jonna was very familiar with.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," she said.

Shane glowered beside Zachary, and Zachary, not knowing the danger he was in, glared right back.

"Who are you?" Zachary said, and she thought both of them to be rather stupid at that particular moment.

Until she spied Laney gawking at them from their table.

I'm the stupid one.