23.2 Old Tricks

Jonna didn't know how she had gotten there, but she was walking into Laney's apartment building.

A doorman nodded a hello at her. Jonna flashed her flashiest smile in the hopes he would let her go without question. Face buried in a Fashion Doll Quaterly magazine, he did.

The magazine title was odd. What was weirder was the slim, nude doll the doorman inspected, apparently comparing it to a doll on the page he had open.

Jonna resisted staring too much as she walked by. Who was she, stalker-McHorneybuns, to judge?

With every step, a squeak squeak sounded. At the elevator, Jonna paused, seeking to find the source. A squeak-free silence followed. She shrugged and moved to press the elevator button. That's when another squeak persisted.

Jonna glanced down and the mystery was solved. Inexplicably, she was clad in an oversized yellow raincoat. The slight breeze she was catching underneath the coat, it was obvious that she was wearing nothing else but the coat.

Her desperation was driving her mad. Even to the point of showing up, nearly naked, at the apartment of someone who did not want to be with her.

What am I doing?

When the elevator doors opened in front of her, she hesitated.

"Fuck it."

In the next instant, she had stepped inside and pressed the button for Laney's floor.

~*~

Finally, at Laney's apartment door, Jonna hesitated again before knocking.

Jonna checked her watch.

1:30am

There was nothing she could say that wouldn't reek of craziness at this hour. Unless, she didn't say anything and just grabbed Laney to kiss her in a very movie-glamorous but lacking-consent kinda way.

"Uhhh."

A muffled grunt caught Jonna's attention. It had come from inside Laney's apartment. Like the fully-realized creep she now was, Jonna carefully settled her ear against the door. The wood hummed with the nonstop moans. Fairly easily, she discerned Laney's distinctive noises alongside a stranger's.

Jonna's brain urged her to leave. Laney had fully moved on, and so should she. However, she kept her ear on the door. For several minutes, she continued listening to the moans and groans. Jonna pictured what could be happening, where and to whom. Her pulse quickened as she imagined herself in the room with Laney and the stranger, watching their every move together.

Initially, a pang of jealousy paralyzed her. That pang subsided as she continued picturing Laney and an unknown woman kissing, and touching, and back to kissing. In this fantasy, she was seated at the end of the bed, touching herself while they put on a show.

The image was simultaneously satisfying as it was soul-crushing.

Back to the door, Jonna sank to the ground slowly.

The descent to the floor seemed unending.

~*~

The sensation of falling jarred Jonna awake.

She stared at the ceiling, eyes adjusting to the shadows in the room. Then, she wondered at her weird brain that had concocted such a dream. No. A nightmare.

The supposed encounter in Laney's hallway had wrecked her, in several ways. Her feelings about Laney with someone else, being touched by someone else, had diverged.

Jonna was insanely hurt. But she was also turned on.

At least I can do something about the second feeling.

She reached for her phone.