28.2 Cancel Queen

Jayden swung the door open and greeted someone.

"--finally meet you," Jonna heard him saying.

From the couch, she had trouble seeing who he was speaking to. Then, Jayden stepped aside, revealing Laney. She looked approachable in a faded yellow tee and jeans, carrying a large paper sack stamped with "Sam's Chicken Shack" logo.

Jonna's heartbeat matched the throbbing of her head. She pinched her arm, making sure she was awake. 

"Chicken and waffles?" Olga exclaimed. "Come on in here, especially if there's enough for everybody!"

She glared at Olga's back, shaking her head. Olga had been sneaky before, but this was too much. Jonna held in what she wanted to say, lest she look bad in front of Laney during the first time they'd seen in other in a while. 

"More than enough. Laney nodded, handing the sack to Olga as she walked in, closing the door behind her.

Olga eagerly assessed the contents of the sack in the kitchen. Jayden lingered in the living room, hands in his pants pockets, leveling his gaze at Laney.

"Heard a lot about you."

Laney stood to the side of Jonna. She hadn't said hello or acknowledged Jonna yet. There was a cushioned seat behind her, but she made no move to sit.

"Hope it wasn't all bad," she said, tone grim but eyes sparkling.

 A slow smile spread across Jayden's face. "Not all of it."

Jonna released a breath she'd been holding. 

"Jayden, come pick what you want!" Olga called from the kitchen.

He asked Jonna if she needed anything. She assured him she was fine, and he joined Olga in the kitchen, throwing one last brotherly look of caring behind him as he went.

When they were alone, Laney finally turned to Jonna. She opened her mouth, but was interrupted.

"We got what we need. We're leavin'!" Olga's announcement preceded her whirlwind departure. She dragged Jayden behind her, and they promised to be back much later.

In the aftermath of the silence, Jonna released a brief chuckle.

"They're always entertaining," she said.

She wanted to say so much more, but it was all the moment would allow.

"I can see that." Then, Laney added, "Can we talk?"

"Yeah."

~*~

Laney retrieved plates and food from the kitchen. She poured one glass of water for Jonna, then another for herself. The second glass overfilled, water seeping onto the coffee table. Laney's cheeks flushed as she fumbled, grabbing for the small mountain of napkins.

Jonna watched with a sort of fond curiosity; she hadn't seen Laney nervous or uncomfortable before. Tonight, she had seemed both, and it was endearing.

As they chewed their food, they attempted small talk. During, Jonna was painfully aware of the ticking of the wall clock, and of the two drops of water Laney had missed while cleaning the coffee table.

"I wanna say I was wrong."

The words startled Jonna, drawing her attention from the coffee table and back to Laney's apprehensive face.

"What? About what?"

"I jumped to conclusions, about your past relationships. I was wrong, and I'm sorry."

A weight lifted from Jonna, one she had been unaware of until Laney's words. With it, she realized a few things, and shared.

"I'm sorry, too. You were sort of right. I had to sort my shit out with Zachary and Shane."

Laney leaned forward, speaking low. "Never like this, though." She extended her hand, and Jonna stared before accepting the contact. She placed her hand in Laney's, noting Laney's warm and soft touch.

They moved to discussing seeing other people, such as the redhead and Zachary. Both of them termed these relationships as additional mistakes. Jonna admitted she had made plenty of mistakes in her life, and that she didn't know fully how to be with a woman.

She tried to apologize for how stupid she sounded, but stopped herself. Laney just laughed, but not unkindly.

"Lesbians are weird, normal, and in between, like everyone else."

Jonna smiled in relief, grateful for the wisdom and grace of Laney's words. Suddenly, she slid her hand from Laney's, unsure of how to pose her next question. But, she decided she needed to know, and she needed to be blunt.

Without preamble or segue, she asked, "Is that party part of how you live your life?" 

Laney sat back in her chair, assessing Jonna. Silence returned, and for Jonna, so did the prevalence of the wall clock ticking in the background. 

"Not necessarily," Laney replied carefully.

Jonna thought back to their first meeting on the plane. "From the first day we've met, you've been pretty unconventional."

"More so than you?"

Images invaded her head: the squeaking of plastic on wood as the stranger wrapped in cellophane clung to the table. Rubbing her sore wrists after being handcuffed to a strange bed.

"I'd argue, yes."

"This is all about the party, isn't it?"

"Fuck yes, it is." At her response, Laney raised a brow, but Jonna forged ahead. "I'd rather fantasize about stuff like that than do 'em."

"It's not like I have a punch card, but yeah, I've frequented the place in the past." Slowly and deliberately, she enfolded Jonna's hands into hers again. "Really, I took you there to test your boundaries. You're also unconventional. And impulsive. I took you there to see if you wanted that kind of lifestyle, which isn't really my scene. I'm glad it's not for you, either."

That was really all she needed to know. Rather than say that, Jonna simply said, "Thank you," hoping that Laney understood. She smiled, and Jonna thought she did.

Their lips met softy. When they settled back, Laney offered to help Jonna to bed in her room.

"Sounds good, if you're there with me. You know, for medical reasons."

"Can do."