Don't blame yourself.

It was 6:30am when the alarm went off . I rubbed my eyes forcefully before tiredly getting off the bed.
It took a couple minutes before I got dressed.

I threw on some baggy joggers with a fitted long sleeve turkey neck shirt.

Hearing sounds coming from the kitchen, I immediately knew it was Stella preparing breakfast. "How's your hand healing up?"
"It's fine." She reassured while taking out some the dishes.

She then looked up, admiring me.
"What made you want to wear something fitted today?" She asked while cutting out crusts from the bread slices.

"Change of style." I responded with a grin.

I helped her in whisking the eggs and in preparing the toasts while she made a meal for the kids. I felt like telling her about the rent but I didn't know how I would start.

"There's something I want to ask." I said while setting up the plates.
"What's that?"
"The landlord came. He said we were due." I could see the sudden change of expression in her face. One as if she had just seen a ghost.

"Wh- what else did he say?" She stammered out.

I wasn't sure why she was scared but I needed to know.
"That we were 6 months due and that we would have to pay before next month." I muttered out while looking at her still confused.

"Oh thank God." She said with the lowest of tones.

She casually went back to what she was doing.
"What did he mean by six months? Don't you pay every month?" I asked still very confused about everything.
"I do. I'm sure he came to the wrong house."

"Go wake up the kids, it's almost time for them to go to school." She hurriedly changed from the topic.

The twins had one room while Cole and Rowan shared one and I and Ace had separate ones since we were the oldest.

—————————
"She was acting weird when I asked her about the rent." I said to Rowan while we walked to school. "What do you think she's hiding?" He asked.

"I bet she skips work and smoke weed at the back of an unknown church building." I sarcastically said and he gave me a strict stare.

"Mom doesn't hide things from me Row.." I continued, emphasizing on the 'hide'.
"Since Stella definitely have somethings going on, how are we going to get the two grand?" Rowan asked.

"We already have one grand covered..." I mentioned.
He turned to me with curiosity written all over his face.
"Ace paid his part of his share yesterday." I continued, Rowan still had the same confused look on his face.

"How..where did he find one grand under a day?" Rowan asked, stunned. "Wish I knew."

"Meet at the park after school." I concluded as we parted ways.

***

I got strange looks from different directions making me extremely uncomfortable.
"Morning." I said to Beth, getting some things out from my locker.

I shut the locker back as she stood there scanning me for about a minute.
"What?" I asked nervously. "Who are you and what have you done with Darcy?" She jokingly questioned.

"When did you start wearing fitted shirts?" She continued when we now walked down the hall.
"Do I look good in it?" I was definitely insecure about my sudden choice of dressing. Plus the looks and stares I got all of a sudden had me more bothered.

"Is that  even a question? You look like a fucking Vogue magazine model." She said protesting my question,making a slight smile creep on my face.

We both walked in the maths class and not to our surprise we were the only ones there.