99

We were getting out today

Lorenzo and I were leaving and never looking back. I don't know where we'll end up, there's a good chance Car would never let us back into her life.

But we would still try, anywhere was better than here.

I'm sitting on the edge of my bed, in my room which I've been isolated to for the past few days. My elbows are resting on my spread needs, foot tapping with nerves as I wait.

There's a dull ache in my chest, a combination of both dread and fading bruises. Probably a cracked rib as well, but I didn't know for sure.

My main priority was getting Enzo and I out of here.

I hear the front door slam shut, my head perking up with interest as I continue to listen to any indication of movement downstairs.

After a minute I hear footsteps out in the hall, behind my door and I tense. My hands form tight fists as I watch my door, see the shadow under it walk and stop.

The door handle rattles before the sound of keys jingle. A key slots into the door and clicks round, the door handle turning fully this time and the door inching open.

Lorenzo's head pops in and looks over at me worriedly. I breathe out a sigh of relief and smile at my brother.

He doesn't smile back though, instead he slips into my room and closes the door softly behind him.

"Thank fuck, I couldn't stand being in this room a second longer." I tell him quietly and he frowns at me.

"You wouldn't be in here if you'd kept your mouth shut." He tells me with a disapproving look and I scoff at him.

"If big bad Angelo can't handle a couple insults I don't know how he's still running a fucking mafia." I snide and Lorenzo cracks a smile despite himself.

He shakes his head as he grips my own, tilting it this way and that to assess the damage, "I'm proud of you Rome." He mutters absentmindedly, "Not many would do what you do." He says, affection filling his tone.

I look at him then, apart from Car, he was the only other family I have at the moment. "Not many would step in front of a punch for their annoying little brother." I smirk back at him and he drops my face with a smile, ruffling my hair.

My face sobers quickly though, "Are we alone?" I ask and Lorenzo matches my expression.

"Massimo's here. Giovanni and Angelo had to attend to something about the FBI situation." Lorenzo replies and I nod absentmindedly.

Massimo. Fucking Massimo.

I missed that idiot. But he'd changed. Angelo had changed him and there was nothing I could do except sit back and watch him follow in his footsteps.

He'd always been the most involved in the mafia out of the two of us, but I didn't know he was this serious.

I shake my head clear of thoughts, fuck it, I've got Enzo and that was enough for me.